Yet another reason to hire an electrician

Status
Not open for further replies.

yfaze480

Got this pic awhile back on a service call where they claimed to not have any idea why things had started going to pot. One of my many interesting finds. I would love to hear any comments you all might have. If I'm ever allowed i would love to make it my avatar he he. went to this place troubleshooting a dead circuit and other than a little tape i removed this is EXACTLY ! what i found. this is way up there on my list right alongside a soup can weather head. Enjoy

480sparky

I'll bet there's more than one electron that's dizzy after going through that rats nest.
headache-smiley.gif

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer
Don't think I've ever truly LMAO, but I really did on that one. Last time I laughed like that was a Richard Pryor concert in the 80's (or when I find stuff like this).

Mark

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
A few of the outlets in my house looked about like that. I plugged something into one on the back porch a few weeks after I bought the place and was rewarded with a lot of sparks. I opened up everyone of the outlets and made sure they were wired a little better than that.

Some of them had pigtails made up that were just wires twisted together and taped over. Most of the grounds were just twisted together. Guess the guy was saving on wire nuts.

yfaze480

Glad to see so many of you got the enjoyment out of that that i did. I'll try to find some of my other favorites. sometimes if people only knew the real risk in the thought that " It an't nothing but a little bit of wire" brings into their home. and these people have kids !

charlietuna

And the best part the "CREATOR" of that mess looked at it upon completion and was DARN PROUD of it ! IT WORKED ! Everytime you think you've seen "the best", it isn't long before a better one is found !

big john

And the best part the "CREATOR" of that mess looked at it upon completion and was DARN PROUD of it...!
Man, isn't that the truth. I once ran a service call for some flickering lights. Started opening up cover plates in the basement and found everything wired with old, brittle UF; no boxes; and all the wires pulled up as tight as banjo strings (which, coupled with poor temination practice, accounted for the flickering).

The H/O was standing behind me the whole time going on and on about how the problem couldn't possibly be down here because "I rewired this whole basement myself!" He couldn't have been happier with himself....

-John

mivey

Glad you found that. I was going to go back and fix that after my lunch-time supply run but I forgot. I was going to use crimp sleeves, but I could not find my channel-locks to crimp with.

zappy

That was inside the wall???

That was inside the wall???

That's takes the cake! King of hacks!

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Most of the ones I see buried at least have a twist of some kind!!

A few weeks ago I was on a service call for a burnt recept & no power in bedrooms. The recept was in a 4 sq and burnt away almost to being unrecognizable. Power was still on. All damage was contained inside the box. Unrelated problem was the bedrooms. Took less than a minute to see open splices along edge of new sheetrock installed by owners SIL. Took her back to burnt box & explained again what could have happened had there been no box and told them to call me after sheetrock had been removed. There had to be more than one more open splice. Still no call.

Besoeker

I do not think I could make that mess if I tried my hardest.
I had similar thoughts on a project one of our other divisions was looking at.
It was non-standard kit and that's what my division does.
OK. I was given a picture of what their R&D department had put together as a prototype and asked if we could replicate it. It was a dog's dinner.
My response was "No. We can't."
"Why?"
"We don't know how to work to that sort of standard."

mivey

I had similar thoughts on a project one of our other divisions was looking at.
It was non-standard kit and that's what my division does.
OK. I was given a picture of what their R&D department had put together as a prototype and asked if we could replicate it. It was a dog's dinner.
My response was "No. We can't."
"Why?"
"We don't know how to work to that sort of standard."
You must have been a real hit at the Christmas party that year. :grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.