Bare neutral wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon Prabe

I have recently ran across a situation I have never seen. A bare piece of copper wire comes from a 277/480 volt panel. There is no insulated neutral in any of the branch circuits. There is also no Grounding wire in any of these branch circuits. The raceways consist of RMC and EMT as well as pieces of steel flex that go from j-boxes to light fixtures. Has it ever been ok to do this? Is there a code that specifies this? Is there any chance that this can be "grandfathered"?

I am aware of the potential dangers, just need advice in moving forward.

Thanks!!

Buck Parrish

When the normal branch circuits require a neutral such as most lighting. It should have always had an insulated neutral. ( for obvious reasons)

Last edited:

480sparky

I have recently ran across a situation I have never seen. A bare piece of copper wire comes from a 277/480 volt panel. There is no insulated neutral in any of the branch circuits. There is also no Grounding wire in any of these branch circuits. The raceways consist of RMC and EMT as well as pieces of steel flex that go from j-boxes to light fixtures. Has it ever been ok to do this? Is there a code that specifies this? Is there any chance that this can be "grandfathered"?

I am aware of the potential dangers, just need advice in moving forward.

Thanks!!

Never been legal. Using white/gray goes back to at least the 1923.

Jon Prabe

the Bare wire comes from the panel and is ran in a raceway with the hot wire which feeds branch circuits through the building.

Does anyone know of a code reference?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I would think 250.24(A)(5) might also be used as a reference.

btharmy

Let me understand this clearly. Are you saying there is a raceway with only 1 insulated hot conductor and 1 bare conductor feeding equipment?

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer
This could be a legal installation for only line-line loads where the bare wire was the EGC (not trusting the conduit) as long as there was more than one hot wire.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.