Hand dryer GFCI in public restroom

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
Who cares if the customer wants to save money in their locker room on safety equipment.

I care what the customer wants as long as it is legal

I think it's a excellent idea to GFI protect a (in all likely hood) metalic piece of equipment that will be constantly used in a wet environment by customers or employees.

I do not agree with that for the reason Don gave.

Proper grounding connections prevent shocks...GFCIs only limit the duration of the shock.

jwjrw

I care what the customer wants as long as it is legal

I do not agree with that for the reason Don gave.

If you did have an issue with the handdrier and it became energized a gfi would be added protection in case something happend in the grounding circuit. Needed or not it would technically be safer.

jwjrw

If you did have an issue with the handdrier and it became energized a gfi would be added protection in case something happend in the grounding circuit. Needed or not it would technically be safer.

I mean if it couldnt trip the breaker for some reason.

ptrip

What is the cost difference of a 20A GFI breaker vs a 20A standard breaker?

The GFI breaker will not cause any harm if installed and could provide (if anything) a sense of added safety to the installation for the person liable for the install.

The main issue it seems, in this situation, is the added cost.

Are we talking $20/brkr ... $100/brkr?

Is it even worth worrying about? :confused:

raider1

Staff member
What is the cost difference of a 20A GFI breaker vs a 20A standard breaker?

The GFI breaker will not cause any harm if installed and could provide (if anything) a sense of added safety to the installation for the person liable for the install.

The main issue it seems, in this situation, is the added cost.

Are we talking $20/brkr ... $100/brkr?

Is it even worth worrying about? :confused:

Depends on the type of panel we are talking about.

Typcially a GFCI breaker is quite a bit more than a standard breaker of the same amperage.

Chris

ptrip

Typically I see a GFCI breaker 30 or more dollars more than a standard breaker.

I guess small is in the eye of the beholder.;):D

Chris

I was thinking as a percentage of the whole, but regardless I don't give stuff away for free, :)

Exactly my point. $30 difference on a $200 project ... well maybe.

But there are so many times I have to do all kinds of research and justification for what ultimately what yields $100 in savings on a 5 figure project ...

I'm not saying the OP should eat the cost ... just so we're clear ... I just think the Owner is probably splitting hairs. More money has probably been spent researching the question than just paying the difference!

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I'm a firm believer in GFCI. That said, if I were the owner and had every reason to beileve a properly grounded piece of equipment was safe vs the increased possibility of a service call plus the added cost of installation, I would opt out.

Status
Not open for further replies.