Live-dead-live test

Status
Not open for further replies.

I^2R

Hi everyone, first post here.

Trying to aggregate the various safety requirements together, I'm stuck on one point. Standards state that live electrical work must not be done except for very specific exceptions. Fine, I understand the logic in that.
Safety standards also mandate that equipment be tested to verify it's de energized (duh). The established / recommended / accepted practice is live-dead-live with the live test performed on a voltage similar to that in question to verify correct operation of the test equipment.
So where does one get the "live" voltage for the meter test? Wouldn't this test fly in the face of the rules? :-?

iwire

Staff member
So where does one get the "live" voltage for the meter test? Wouldn't this test fly in the face of the rules? :-?

You are going to love this ......... :grin:

You are supposed to fully suit up with the appropriate PPE level to do the test you are asking about.

I^2R

Soooo.... what your saying is;
Every time we work on something de-energized, it comes with an "unavoidable" hot work situation, the exact thing that we are told can be avoided in almost every situation. So there is in effect no such thing as performing your work de-energized because we need to verify the function of the tester to confirm the de-energized state of the equipment in question?

I'm all for shutting stuff down, but I'm trying to draft a safety policy for the company that makes sense, this part baffles me.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Soooo.... what your saying is;
Every time we work on something de-energized, it comes with an "unavoidable" hot work situation, the exact thing that we are told can be avoided in almost every situation. So there is in effect no such thing as performing your work de-energized because we need to verify the function of the tester to confirm the de-energized state of the equipment in question?

I'm all for shutting stuff down, but I'm trying to draft a safety policy for the company that makes sense, this part baffles me.

The basis is:
Assume everything is live, therefore PPE required, until is is verified as de-energized.

Put on your PPE
'live check' your meter
check the 'de-energized' circuit
'live check' your meter
Remove your PPE

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Keep in mind too, that if the disconnecting means is built into the cabinet, such as a conveyor CC, the lugs and wires on the line side are still "live", so PPE would still be required while working in it, unless the feeder to the cabinet is disconnected before the cabinet.

billsnuff

my take

my take

live dead live

I'm in an industrial setting. So if I have to verify that a 480vac panel is dead.
I find the nearest 110 duplex and verify that the meter is functioning properly, then test the 480 as if it were live and retest the meter at the duplex.

live dead live is to verify that your meter is functioning properly. insurance to prove the dead part is realy dead.

zog

You are going to love this ......... :grin:

You are supposed to fully suit up with the appropriate PPE level to do the test you are asking about.

You are suited up anyways to test the dead circuit, the circuit is treated as live until proven otherwise, per OSHA rules. So you are not suiting up just for the live part of the test.

zog

live dead live

I'm in an industrial setting. So if I have to verify that a 480vac panel is dead.
I find the nearest 110 duplex and verify that the meter is functioning properly, then test the 480 as if it were live and retest the meter at the duplex.

live dead live is to verify that your meter is functioning properly. insurance to prove the dead part is realy dead.

If your meter has an auto ranging scale you can do it this way, if you need to change the scale to go from 120V to 480V you need to use a test source on the same scale.

Also the meter needs to be CAT III rated (Or IV)

zog

Hi everyone, first post here.

Trying to aggregate the various safety requirements together, I'm stuck on one point. Standards state that live electrical work must not be done except for very specific exceptions. Fine, I understand the logic in that.
Safety standards also mandate that equipment be tested to verify it's de energized (duh). The established / recommended / accepted practice is live-dead-live with the live test performed on a voltage similar to that in question to verify correct operation of the test equipment.

Read these yet?
http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=99114

Welcome to the forum

Status
Not open for further replies.