Arc Flash Incident energy on Low Voltage Switchboards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gbd

I would like to know if there are ways to reduce the incident energy in low voltage switchboard sections beyond the main breaker to other distribution sections.

As an Industrial Contractor, we are asked to perform varies duties including installing feeder breakers in distribution sections of Main switchboards. These feeder sections are somtimes 3 or 4 sections away from the main breaker compartment. These sections are bolted together by buss, side by side with the normal barriers and safeguards in place.

The Arc Flash and Coordination studies have been performed and it is revealed to have an incident energy requiring an Extreme Danger rating. This is based on the line side of the incoming service leads from the Utility Transformer before going through the main overcurrent. Can the subsequent distribution sections be calculated at say a Level 4 PPE level or lower based on the overcurrent calculations from the secondary of the overcurrent device. Or since this switchboard Main compartment is not separate from the other distribution sections and the line side service leads are in the entire enclosure does all sections require the Extreme Danger rating?

This is the difference between calling the utility provider to shutdown power instead of locking out the main breaker and performing a rather routine feeder breaker changeout in a section of switchboard, 3 sections away from the main compartment.

Safety is more important than the time it takes to call the utility provider, but I want to make sure I am clear as to what to tell my customers so their maintenance men know the rules and I am labeling the switchgears properly with the correct PPE and incident levels after all calculations are performed.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
The main breaker can protect the other sections, only if you can guarantee that a fault on the cross bus of one section will not propagate from one section to the next and not eventually flash over from the load side to the line side of the main device.

For most UL switchboards (not ANSI construction) there are little to no inter-section barriers.

The best solution for new construction is to have the main device located in a separate section which is 'pipe and wired' to the distribution sections. Someday manufacturers may find a way to isolate the sections, but I doubt there will ever be an acceptable field modification.

gbd

Maybe I can try to simplify my first post. I have ran across switchboards with an arc flash rating on the main section being extreme danger and each other section being of lower ratings. I think personnally being in the 3rd section taking off covers approximately 6'-10' away from the incoming service leads, that the chances of dropping a wrench is highly unlikely to come in contact causing an "arc flash". On the other hand we as a company have taught our customers and electricians that the whole switchboard is extreme danger. Our Arc Flash Software does give lower ratings for the other feeder sections in some instances but we put extreme danger stickers on all sections. I have seen the lower ratings on other feeder sections numerous times from other companies with the same switchboards.

zog

Maybe I can try to simplify my first post. I have ran across switchboards with an arc flash rating on the main section being extreme danger and each other section being of lower ratings. I think personnally being in the 3rd section taking off covers approximately 6'-10' away from the incoming service leads, that the chances of dropping a wrench is highly unlikely to come in contact causing an "arc flash". On the other hand we as a company have taught our customers and electricians that the whole switchboard is extreme danger. Our Arc Flash Software does give lower ratings for the other feeder sections in some instances but we put extreme danger stickers on all sections. I have seen the lower ratings on other feeder sections numerous times from other companies with the same switchboards.

You have high Ei's on your switchgear up to the feeders because your main does nto have an INST trip, mains usually don't due to coordination issues. usually the feeder breakers haev INST trip so the Ei's downstream of those is usually much lower.

What we do for this is retrofit the main with a new trip unit that has a maintenence mode, basically a tempory INST trip for the main that uis enabled when working on the equipment and disabled for normal configuration.

Typically we see reductions from the Danger levels to HRC 2 or 1. My shop does these conversions everyday.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
You have high Ei's on your switchgear up to the feeders because your main does nto have an INST trip, mains usually don't due to coordination issues. usually the feeder breakers haev INST trip so the Ei's downstream of those is usually much lower.

What we do for this is retrofit the main with a new trip unit that has a maintenence mode, basically a tempory INST trip for the main that uis enabled when working on the equipment and disabled for normal configuration.

Typically we see reductions from the Danger levels to HRC 2 or 1. My shop does these conversions everyday.
Even with INST setting on the main device, it is probable that an arc will engulf the entire inside of a non-partitioned switchboard. This is similar to the concept of a panelboard with an integral main breaker. There is no good way, except gut-feel, to say how many sections are needed to provide enough separation, so most companies label the entire board with the 'worst case' energy level.

richxtlc

Depending on the line up of the switchgear, the arc flash IE is, in addition to other factors, (available fault current, OCPD operating time) determined by distance. So the farther you are away from the live terminals of the incoming secondary breaker the lower the IE 'may' be.
Is the primary of the transformer connected to other switchgear that would prevent you from de-energizing the transformer? If not, you can try remote racking to reduce your exposure.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
If not, you can try remote racking to reduce your exposure.
Remote racking is great if it is 'power' breakers, what if it the switchboard contains the far more typical molded case construction using 'bolt-in' breakers.

zog

Even with INST setting on the main device, it is probable that an arc will engulf the entire inside of a non-partitioned switchboard. This is similar to the concept of a panelboard with an integral main breaker. There is no good way, except gut-feel, to say how many sections are needed to provide enough separation, so most companies label the entire board with the 'worst case' energy level.

If non-partitioned then yes, but if it is metal clad then it is effective. I don't think it is clear what the OP really has for equipment.

RETRAINDAILY

Its becuse the main breaker lowers the rating in the main section.
before the main is unprotected the rating will be a lot higher.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
If non-partitioned then yes, but if it is metal clad then it is effective. I don't think it is clear what the OP really has for equipment.

Relatively, very little metalclad gear is installed in commerical environments. There are more 'commercial' facilities than there are 'industrial', so it is a pretty safe bet, that most of the posters on this site see more molded-case breakers than they do power ones.

zog

Relatively, very little metalclad gear is installed in commerical environments. There are more 'commercial' facilities than there are 'industrial', so it is a pretty safe bet, that most of the posters on this site see more molded-case breakers than they do power ones.

OK but the OP still has not clarified. Until then we are all guessing.

Status
Not open for further replies.