American made tires & safety

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohmhead

Well i just saw a CBS report on tires in america after 6 years they are defective and should not be sold thought one might be interested if you have trucks on the road and workers.

Seems the date and week is on the tire 4 digit code its stamped on the tire first two digits are the week of the year and the second two digits are the year it was made .
If you buy one with 04 in the last two digits its bad .

We all talk safety watch this on CBS or the web just beware its you company and your workers on the road . Be safe i guess after thousands of accidents someone found this out and now its news but the tire manufactures always knew this fact and our government also .

Last edited:

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
You mean that tires that are 6 years old will become bad due to age?
Shops really have 4 year old inventory?

WOW

cschmid

come on you mean tires actually last six years...I am lucky to get 2 maybe 2 1/2 but not normally..LOL I will still by american made when possible...and more locally made when possible..

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Well I easily get more than 2 years as I have 2 sets of tires. One winter and one regular.

ohmhead

Well when i posted this it was a good intention to help make us aware of the issue but i see we all have different views on this and i understand its all about money and how we see it spent in our fine country.

The main point was that sears and many stores have replace tires free that were purchased by people who found out that the tires on the shelf were more than 6 years old not that your tires would last 6 years .

Meaning if you put on new tires and payed good money for them your were getting ripped off by these stores and could go back and make them replace them at no cost so one could drive 20 thousands miles and get a new pair or set of free tires from sears .

There not going to tell you this !

And there is still stores selling old tires today if you buy them just check the date then after 20,000 miles take them back for a free tire makes sense to me .

Or drive on them and take the chance they may last many miles but there are the ones that do blow out and we see it everyday on the road for many years theres always a tire on the road blown apart we dont look at it because its not our car or truck its always another driver so we dont care .

I guess i drive more than most each day i travel 154 miles one way to work back and forth so i see accidents everyday on the highway i also see trucks with blown tires everyday more so than cars because trucks do more road trips than people just going to work locally .

If a tire is made the internal bonding which makes the tire tread bond together after 6 years it unbonds so its no good on the shelf not on the road so if you have the wrong tire your done .

Think its raining out your going 70 mph and it blows out meaning tire comes off in traffic with you kids and wife with you .

Or your worker dies on the road now that you know about the tires and they could blow if i have a blow out my company will pay if the tires are out of date .:D

Think shelf life they dry out sitting in store kinda like batterys!

Last edited:

cschmid

just for the record I have never even checked the manufacturer date on tires..and how did you come across this info accidentally? how do you tell again by the serial number?

Meaning if you put on new tires and payed good money for them your were getting ripped off by these stores and could go back and make them replace them at no cost so one could drive 20 thousands miles and get a new pair or set of free tires from sears .

I think saying "ripped off" is rather strong language. It's the difference between doing something on purpose and accidentally. I tend to doubt that Sears has a corporate plan to sell old tires.

Either way, do some research online, although most of what I saw was fear-mongering. Yes, tires age and should be replaced when they get old. No, they shouldn't be sold if they're old. No, they're not a "ticking time bomb" any more than a old panel is. It's a simple matter of being aware of a potential problem and dealing with it- the sky is -not- falling :D.

Besides, how may people get 6 years out of a set, anyway? How about 4 years? Change the oil and check the tires. Simple.

ohmhead

just for the record I have never even checked the manufacturer date on tires..and how did you come across this info accidentally? how do you tell again by the serial number?

Well here watch this http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/05/27/eveningnews/consumer/main698335.shtml

Its CBS so i guess its just somethin they made up for news with out being sure of the facts .

I kinda think not yes i know the news is extreme at times but they dont flat out make stuff up for fun .

dmagyar

Tires on average much better constructed now than in the 60's & 70's

Tires on average much better constructed now than in the 60's & 70's

The great thing is that the name brands seem to be much better made than in the past. It's amazing to me, but reading the posts in this thread let me think back to tires as they were only seemingly a few years ago. My Dad bought a new car in '67 with 'tigerpaws'. In 12,000 miles they were used up, as a replacement I took the car to a local national tire store and bought some fiberglass wideovals. Those flew apart on the car during a trip on the highway less than 10,000 miles later.

After going round with that store trying to get some relief in the way of a warantee, my Dad had heard enough excuses. We left and went to Sears where he bought a set of the new roadhandler radials. Since that time when it comes to buying tires I've stuck with one brand, Michelins.

Ask yourself when is the last time you had the jack under your truck for a tire problem? The tires on my truck are one of the cheapest safety items I can purchase, just like brakes. It's one think less that I have to worry about.

ohmhead

I think saying "ripped off" is rather strong language. It's the difference between doing something on purpose and accidentally. I tend to doubt that Sears has a corporate plan to sell old tires.

Either way, do some research online, although most of what I saw was fear-mongering. Yes, tires age and should be replaced when they get old. No, they shouldn't be sold if they're old. No, they're not a "ticking time bomb" any more than a old panel is. It's a simple matter of being aware of a potential problem and dealing with it- the sky is -not- falling :D.

Besides, how may people get 6 years out of a set, anyway? How about 4 years? Change the oil and check the tires. Simple.

Well heres a better web site 20/20 they show more facts

http://www.wisebread.com/are-your-new-tires-really-6-year-old-ticking-time-bombs

Status
Not open for further replies.