70E Work Permit required?

Status
Not open for further replies.

I^2R

The way I read it, the requirements for work permits are not optional.

Lets say that my employee needs to shut down a 480 volt panel to perform work in it. After lockout, he needs to test that it's in fact de-energized. He would have to don the appropriate PPE, but does he need a work permit? The way I read it he would.

It looks like I'm going to spend my days running around issuing work permits. :mad:

Buck Parrish

Thier is a variation of energized work permit. This can be implemented for six months or more if needed.
Taken from the commentary 70E handbook.
Routine energized tasks can be grouped under one permit for a longer period of time. To handle these longer timeframes, a variation of the basic permit should be created.
For instance, you might want to draft one to cover a one-year period. Companies can alter this timeframe to meet their needs. After one year has passed, management should review worker qualifications to make sure nothing has changed.
This review can coincide with a worker's annual performance review, at which time new updated permits can be issued. Specific tasks should be written on the routine permit form so both electrical field workers and management clearly understand what ?hot? work is permitted on a daily basis without further scrutiny.

cornbread

My take on the job you described is a hot work permit is not needed. In my humble opinion the work of testing the circuit falls under troubleshooting and as such does not need a permit. With that said, PPE and following SOP's still have be followed.

Status
Not open for further replies.