Please guys, be safe out there

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivsenroute

Happened today in PA:

A man from Williamsport died while working on a billboard in Union County.

State police say Francis Plocinski, 52, was electrocuted around 7:30 Tuesday morning. According to troopers, Plocinski had been fixing a light bulb on a billboard along Route 15 near Winfield.

the accident happened just a few feet from Winfield Auction, where David Derr works.

"I was stunned. I can't believe he didn't fall off there. He was hanging way over and i was sure he was going to fall down," said Derr.

Investigators say the electricity was not turned off on the billboard light and Plocinski was accidentally electrocuted. Plocinski worked for Lamar Advertising. People who work nearby found Plocinski and called for help. Derr says he was there and saw Plocinski climb up the billboard.

"I came out and looked up and I saw the gentleman way up there hanging over the thing," added Derr.

Derr says several fire companies arrived shortly afterwards to try to save Plocinski but it was too late.

"I talked to the guy a couple of times. Sorry to see him go that way you know. "

State police and Occupational Safety and Health Administration are investigating the death in Union County.

ty

That's a shame.

I never worked for or on any LAMAR billboards, so I don't know how their signs are wired.

I have worked on many APPLE signs. We no longer work on them.
We started doing their signs and their 'field guy' wanted us to install the electric per their existing signs. Needless to say, their existing signs were not done correctly. We wired the new signs to Code, which led to an argument, which led to us no longer doing work for them.

jwjrw

That's a shame.

I never worked for or on any LAMAR billboards, so I don't know how their signs are wired.

I have worked on many APPLE signs. We no longer work on them.
We started doing their signs and their 'field guy' wanted us to install the electric per their existing signs. Needless to say, their existing signs were not done correctly. We wired the new signs to Code, which led to an argument, which led to us no longer doing work for them.

Wouldnt an electrical inspector make them wire them correctly and you would just be doing what is required of you to pass?

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
The biggest thing I find on older signs is emt/comp fittings with no ground wire. Then they span the supports that are 10'+ apart and install T's where they need to whip into the lights. Since the T's are often no where near the supports and aren't strapped properly, the conduits are always broke or pulled out of the fittings. Then they call us because the wire shorts out and the billboard keeps tripping the breaker....

I don't know how these things passed inspection?

ty

Wouldnt an electrical inspector make them wire them correctly and you would just be doing what is required of you to pass?

I don't know how they passed an inspection.
See COW's description below. It seems like this must be standard practice for alot of folks?

The biggest thing I find on older signs is emt/comp fittings with no ground wire. Then they span the supports that are 10'+ apart and install T's where they need to whip into the lights. Since the T's are often no where near the supports and aren't strapped properly, the conduits are always broke or pulled out of the fittings. Then they call us because the wire shorts out and the billboard keeps tripping the breaker....

I don't know how these things passed inspection?

Status
Not open for further replies.