This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gfcb

Will a gfcb work on a 220volt system without a neutral? In-ground pool with 220v pump and heater.

This thread had been temporarily closed. This action was taken because the nature of the question and the occupation shown in the Original Poster's profile raised a concern that this may have been an attempt by a Do It Yourself person to obtain "how-to" information.

In an exchange of Private Messages, the Original Poster has provided assurances that he is a licensed electrician or electrical contractor or is otherwise authorized to perform electrical installation work, and that the question had to do with a business issue. Therefore, the thread is being returned to the active area. I offer an apology to the OP for the inconvenience and the delay.
    Charles E. Beck, P.E., Seattle
    Comments based on 2017 NEC unless otherwise noted.

Comment

I'm assuming you mean a 2-pole ground-fault breaker.

Yes, it will work without a neutral connection for the load. But the pigtail from the breaker will still need to be connected to the neutral bar.

Comment

If I remember correctly, the neutral "pigtail" must be connected to a neutral supply for the GFCI to operate properly. There is no requirement for a neutral to be connected to the load side as the breaker "monitors" any wire connected.

(sorry 480, posting at same time)
        At my age, I'm accustomed to restaurants asking me to pay in advance, but now my bank has started sending me their calendar one month at a time.

Comment

I agree. Just as it will work on circuits with no ground.(2 wire circuits)
          The more I learn the less I seem to know....

Comment

Originally posted by wte1990 View Post
            Will a gfcb work on a 220volt system without a neutral? In-ground pool with 220v pump and heater.
            I agree with the others but am wonder what the heck a GFCB is-- ground fault circuit breaker? Never seen that used.
            They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
            She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
            I can't help it if I'm lucky

Comment

Working...
            X