used parts to repair electrical service

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ron Mize

One of my service techs. was at a residential service call and found a burned jaw on the load side of the PG&E meter. The panel was a Murray (about 40 years old). The client, who was a contractor, and not the home owner, wanted my tech to repair the problem with used parts that he had left from another job. My answer was "no" because the parts were used and not refurbished. I felt there was added liability and some possible code problems that I could not identify at the moment and refused to do the job. My recommendation was a service change. Since these parts were not tested, I felt this was the right decision to protect my company.
Did I overeact?

Buck Parrish

I agree with you. If I get a signed contract for a new service. Then I will make a temporary fix if neccessary until I get back to install the new service.

iwire

Staff member
Hard to say without seeing the job but I would replace meter jaws with used jaws in good shape without so much as a second thought if that was what the customer wanted.

Normally I like to make money by selling new parts but sometimes it makes more sense to keep the customer happy.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
I agree with Iwire, that, if the used parts are a match (manufacturer, mounting, dimensions, etc.) for the failed part, and the used part is clean, oxidation free, and not pitted or burned itself, then, the labor of the repair is all that is needed . . . as long as the HomeOwner is on board with this.

Usually, the HomeOwner is the one asking this of me, and whether I have a less expensive solution than a total rebuild.

In the OP's case, sounds like the HO and the contractor have some negotiations to do.

electricmanscott

Hard to say without seeing the job but I would replace meter jaws with used jaws in good shape without so much as a second thought if that was what the customer wanted.

Normally I like to make money by selling new parts but sometimes it makes more sense to keep the customer happy.

Agreed. :cool:

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
One of my service techs. was at a residential service call and found a burned jaw on the load side of the PG&E meter. The panel was a Murray (about 40 years old). The client, who was a contractor, and not the home owner, wanted my tech to repair the problem with used parts that he had left from another job. My answer was "no" because the parts were used and not refurbished. I felt there was added liability and some possible code problems that I could not identify at the moment and refused to do the job. My recommendation was a service change. Since these parts were not tested, I felt this was the right decision to protect my company.
Did I overeact?

You have about the same liability if you use new, refurbished, or used parts.

There is no code issue involved.

As long as the used parts are servicable, and presumably your tech is in a position to make that determination, I don't see a huge problem.

Look at it this way - the electrical system is 40 years old. That means many of the parts have been in service for 40 some years. They are all used parts and most are working fine. If in doing the repairs the tech removes some existing used parts to get at a defective part do you think you acquire some extra liability if he reinstalls those used parts? How is what the owner asking any different?

Last edited:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Ron, welcome to the forum! :)

Around here, the POCO will not reconnect after dropping a service unless they recieve a passed-inspection notice, and the county head inspector made it very clear that meter bases (and panels, etc.) are assemblies, and not made for replacements of parts.

His inspectors have been instructed to not approve anything less than an entire meter-base replacement. Of course, the POCO can do it, but won't unless they break the part. So, there's no way to replace parts unless you do so hot and there's no meter lock.

iwire

Staff member
Around here, the POCO will not reconnect after dropping a service unless they recieve a passed-inspection notice,

Same here.

and the county head inspector made it very clear that meter bases (and panels, etc.) are assemblies, and not made for replacements of parts.

And that is backed by what code section?

Would that be the 'not in my town' amendment?:grin:

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
Agree with the rest parts are parts we replace fuse clips, stripped lugs,etc whats the diff.?

mcclary's electrical

Larry and I live pretty close together, but sometimes his views and mine are different. I've called Dominion, scheduled to meet a service truck there, they cut the drop, pull a 5 gallon bucket of what appears to be used and new meter parts meter parts all mixed together, dig through it, find meter jaws to fit, stick them in the meter, and reconnect. The last one I scheduled, the customer only lost power for about 30 minutes.

About not reconnecting without an inspection, I've called and asked to get a lock removed from a meter and told them it was an emergency. (It was the truth) The customer was without power because the SE cable was loose at the main breaker and burnt the cable and lugs. I told them I needed to pull meter, trim 6" off SE cable, and install a new panel because the other one is ruined. The truck arrives by 10:30 am, takes lock off meter, and says call me when you're done. I pull meter, do work, reinstall meter, call themm and tell them to put their lock back on it. Larry, you gotta learn how to sweet talk people:D

Cavie

Always kept meter parts for old services. If I felt the customer could not afford a new service the parts went in. Inspections always called. No problem with inspectors or POCO.

Ron Mize

used parts to repair electrical service

Thanks everyone for your quick responses. You gave me alot to think about.
It seems to get complicated when you deal with the different agencies and inspectors.
I'll try to make my next inquiry fit a particular code section to which we can refer.:grin:
thanks again, Ron

220/221

I would have done it as a temp repair but written it as an inspection only and "need new service" on the invoice.

I've done a few jobs like this. I explain carefully and completely why I cannot legally do the work...but you can....wink wink.

Status
Not open for further replies.