Siding nails into a panel

Status
Not open for further replies.
normally i can find a thread on questions i have but couldn't find it for this one.
is there an issue with siding nails penetrating a panel if they are not in contact with anything important like say the load buss?

40 plus slab home in Staten Island NY
panel is mounted into an exterior wall under the stairs (meet no current clearance requirements... gotta love NYC EC)
was resided a few years ago
on inspection i commented the siding guy was lucky he didn't nail 3" higher
was then asked is it a problem...never in 14 years has this come up for me before.

yeah first thought was the thermal short that would create recessing in an exterior wall and who would have let that fly.

I am thinking 408, but haven't found anything. If no one can tell I finished a job and am reading posts today to force me to dive into NEC for fun.

Another thought is a direct path from exterior weather was just created into an interior rated panel.

Last edited:
Another thought is a direct path from exterior weather was just created into an interior rated panel.

i try to explain that to every siding guy that doesn't know what flashing is...they tell me the house is wrapped with tyvek and i tell the they just put a few thousand holes in it when they fasten the siding

i hadn't thought about it as water intrusion issue though, good point. i was thinking of it from the standpoint of blunt vs. sharp fasteners into the panel

as an HI i can't hang my hat on code, i can reference if it applies to safety but certainly not on an existing install the met the requirements of NYC when the house was built. i generally go with a what would i do approach for my clients. now possible water intrusion is definitely something to hang my hat on. with that in mind I'll recommend the panel be changed to a surface mount. i greatly appreciate your input.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I had it happen to me once and I just snipped off the nails. I doubt water will penetrate the siding thru the tyvek into the panel. You could silicone the nail pops or drive the nails out and let them caulk the siding.

stars13bars2

Brian
If there is no evidence of water in the panel, I would not declare it a problem before one develops. Just inform them of what they have and leave it at that. I sometimes think we all see a boogie man around the corner, when there is no justifiable reason to draw that conclusion.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
The best one I saw was a toggle bolt securing the toilet seat paper gasket holder from the bathroom on the other side. Panel was still live, I only noticed it because I went to add a breaker to the panel and it wouldn't seat down all the way, then I saw the toggle bolt sticking out!

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
as an HI i can't hang my hat on code, i can reference if it applies to safety but certainly not on an existing install the met the requirements of NYC when the house was built. i generally go with a what would i do approach for my clients. now possible water intrusion is definitely something to hang my hat on. with that in mind I'll recommend the panel be changed to a surface mount. i greatly appreciate your input.

Be very, very, very careful making recommendations.

Simply state the facts; nails have penetrated the panel.

Depending on your state this may require a EI or a EC to determine if it is or is not safe (damaged).

IMHO the panel is damaged and needs to be replaced.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
IMHO the panel is damaged and needs to be replaced.

Nema 1 panels have lots of holes in the back from the factory. If the nails are removed or cut off what's the issue? I don't see this as any different than drilling your own fastener holes or drilling a hole where you need it to bring your GEC into the panel. So what's the issue?

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Nema 1 panels have lots of holes in the back from the factory. If the nails are removed or cut off what's the issue? I don't see this as any different than drilling your own fastener holes or drilling a hole where you need it to bring your GEC into the panel. So what's the issue?

The issue is what would you like to defend in court.

Never said it was a code or safety violation.

massfd

How do you know if there are nails you cannot see, like behind the buss or into the back of a breaker. At very least it needs to be taken apart and inspected by a licensed contractor

jwjrw

I had it happen to me once and I just snipped off the nails. I doubt water will penetrate the siding thru the tyvek into the panel. You could silicone the nail pops or drive the nails out and let them caulk the siding.

I agree it should be as simple as caulking the penetrations.

Status
Not open for further replies.