Milbank RV 50amp receptacles melting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff80

I have 5 year old Milbank meter pole with RV 50 amp receptacles that are continually melting and I have to change them out. What is the cause of this? Is it just a loose connection between the receptacle and the male plug? There is nothing else odd here and it is happening at alot of my camp sites.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I suspect the RV vehicle plugs are worn out and have loose connections that are creating heat and melting your recep. Either that or all your recep. are loose. :)

crazyboy

Check the the cords that are being plugged in there. A lot of those molded rv plugs begin to burn, and then the loose connection just kills the receptacle.

480sparky

Wow. This sure sounds familiar. This was about two months ago in a 1-year old panel.

DSC_2181.jpg

DSC_2184.jpg

DSC_2182.jpg

480sparky

That picture is a 120/240v range outlet. So how is the RV wired.
Don't the Rv have a 120v 50a outlet?

They're all wired for 120v. I have yet to see an RV that has a 240v load in them.

If they have 240v loads, how do they plug into a standard 120v receptacle and have everything work?

How do the work on 240v receptacles, and why do they use 240v cord & plugs? Simple.... they only utilize one hot wire. Half the RVs that plug in will use the hot on the 'right' side of the receptacle, and half will use the hot on the 'left' side of the receptacle.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
So You tell me that the manufacture makes cords with all 4 wires and only use 3. Really.

Some RV's have 240v appliances. what I can bet on is that they all are wired with all the 120v on one leg. A Rv park gets overloaded on one Leg because the EC wires Line 1 on the same terminal on each and every pedistal. I can assure you there is a voltage drop on Line 1 when the park is full.

I have seen this in condos where Line 1 is substatially heavier loaded than Line 2. When everyone is home the current on line 1 is drawn down because of the heavy load while line 2 is not loaded much at all.
That is why it is essential to balance the load equally. It it difficult in resi. although in multifamily it is best sometimes to switch around the loading opposite that of half the complex.

My 2 cents

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
I have 5 year old Milbank meter pole with RV 50 amp receptacles that are continually melting and I have to change them out. What is the cause of this? Is it just a loose connection between the receptacle and the male plug? There is nothing else odd here and it is happening at alot of my camp sites.

Is it just a loose connection between the receptacle and the male plug? .
That is the most likely cause, the people probly don't check to make sure the plug is tight.

cruzJD

Some class A?s have heat pumps in them that use 220. Larger 5th wheels and most class A?s use a 220V 50A plug. I think AC?s in 5th wheels are 110 but I could be wrong.

The melting in the pic?s look like people did not flip the breaker before plugging in there cord. Starting 2 AC?s and the converter with the contacts not fully engaged causes problems.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Then those will have instructions not to attempt to plug into a 120v recep.

They are not they are plugging into a 120/240v outlet. Now if the Park is only supplying 120v without a lable then I suppose there could be an issue.

480sparky

They are not they are plugging into a 120/240v outlet. Now if the Park is only supplying 120v without a lable then I suppose there could be an issue.

The vast majority of RVs still operate on 120v only. That's why they can plug into a 50a 120/240, 30a 120/240, 30a 120, 20a 120/240, 20a 120 or 15a 120 receps. There's why all the RV shops sell those 'dogbones'.

39931.jpg
39933.jpg
17961.jpg
39930.jpg

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Most RV's have all 120 volt loads, even the bigger ones, they just split the load between the legs. My Class A is just a 30 amp because I don't have a washer and dryer and dishwasher and all that good stuff the larger Class A's have. There are even adapters that split two 20 amp receptacles on different circuits into a 50 amp feed. (not full power available though). Some have energy management systems that sense the available power and turns loads on and off accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.