Hot switches

Status
Not open for further replies.
First I'm a property inspector. I can't seem to get a straight answer here. Ive been in several houses lately when when I touch a switch with a volt stick it's reading active.Some only when the switch is turned on other with the switch is either position. I am under the impression that voltage across a switch could be an open ground or a bad common. Is this a normal or abnormal condition?
I know that if I walk up to a panel and touch it with volt stick and it's active I don't try to open it.

Thanks for the help.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
John, welcome to the forum! :)

The non-contact voltage sensor does exactly that: it detects voltage, not current.

One side of an open switch is still hot, and that is not dependent on load current.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Non-contact voltage sensors are often sensitive enough to show voltage through the switch itself and or a non-metallic cover plate. This would also be the case with a circuit breaker. Many such testers will read "hot" when placed next to the plastic case of the breaker.

What are you trying to find out but touching the tester to the switch? I can't think of any useful information that that type of test could provide.

Status
Not open for further replies.