Hard hats

Status
Not open for further replies.

zog

George, want to add this to the FAQ's?

First off, there is no "expiration date" for hard hats. Manufactures put dates on them and recommend replacement after 2 years, but that is to sell more hard hats. However, OSHA does require you inspect your hard hat every day, that is hard to do if it is covered in stickers.

ANSI Z89 has the inspection requirements for hard hats, and if yours does not pass it should be replaced, wether it is 10 weeks or 10 years old. Here is a guide to inspectiing your hard hat. http://www.lbl.gov/ehs/ih/Refs/longerHardHatSept26.pdf

Stickers, those are tough. Nothing in OSHA says you can't have stickers, however for electrical rated hard hats (Class E) you need to be careful on using them.( Some staes OSHA rules specifically ban stickers on Class E rated hard hats so check your states OSHA regulation if your state has them)

Here is OSHA's stance on stickers
http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=INTERPRETATIONS&p_id=27272

So OSHA "punts" this to the manufactures. Here is what some common hard hat manufactures say about stickers

MSA Instructions

It is permissible to use pressure-sensitive stickers or tape with self-adhesive backing AS LONG AS THEY ARE NOT closer than 1/2” from the helmet’s edge. MSA’s studies indicate that such stickers or tape in such locations will not affect burn-through (i.e. dielectric classification) or a MSA helmet’s structure. However, because it is impossible for MSA to test all pressure-sensitive adhesives, caution should still be taken when using such materials. Also, be sure that when stickers or tape are applied, they do not cover any helmet damage.

Bullard Instructions

The use of self-adhesive stickers by individual users to “personalize” their hard hats or for other marking or identification purposes is a common practice. Because of the type of adhesive used in typical pressure-sensitive stickers, there is very little potential for chemical interaction between the adhesive and the helmet shell, and their use would not be expected to negatively affect the performance of the helmet under normal conditions. Adhesive stickers should be placed at least ?” away from the edge of the helmet, and the area of the helmet covered in this way should be kept to a practical minimum to permit regular inspection of the helmet shell for signs of damage from use or aging.

North Safety Instructions

The use of self-adhesive stickers for identification purposes is a very common practice nowadays. There is very little or no interaction between the adhesive, on pressure sensitive stickers, and the shell of the hard hat because of the type of adhesive or glue used. Of course the use of adhesive stickers should always be kept to the minimum in order to permit regular inspections of the hat’s shell for any signs of damage from use and/or deterioration…

Fibre-Metal Instructions

Do not paint, imprint, apply decals or stickers without the written permission of North Safety Products. Paint can attack the shell and cause degradation and stickers can cover cracks or damage on the shell.

Sperian Instructions

Stickers and labels may be added to the hard hat shell, as long as none is over 0.5 inches from the bottom of the hard hat. Keep in mind that adding stickers and labels to a hard hat makes it much more difficult to inspect the shell for cracks and damage. Pay close attention to the areas around and under the labels or stickers. You may have to remove the suspension and carefully check the underside of the hard hat shell in order to properly inspect the site of the label or sticker. d. Painting the hard hat shell: Paint contains chemicals that will interfere with the performance and integrity of the hard hat shell. Do not, under any circumstances, paint the shell of a hard hat.

renosteinke

I know not what brought this topic up - but I would like to make an observation.

"Safety" is not served, and respect for ALL rules is attacked, when the real issue is concealed.

We saw this well illustrated when the issue of wearing the hard hat 'backwards' came up. When all was said and done, at the heart of the matter was one person objecting to the fashion choice of another. It wasn't a "safety" issue at all - but an attempt was made to enforce a fashion statement, using 'safety' as the excuse.

Regarding stickers, I can't recall very many employers who do NOT mandate stickers- they add names, departments, titles, logos, training stickers, union symbols, you name it. "Stickers" seem to only become an issue when it's chosen by the employee. It can get silly; somehow Chicago employers only have trouble with "Green Bay Packer" or "St. Louis Cardinal" stickers, but not with the counterpart "Bears" and Cubs."

I've also seen employers have fits when someone shows up with one of those (completely legitimate) "cowboy" hard hats.

Whatever the issue is, it's not a 'safety' issue- and 'safety' ought not be hijacked to enforce every unspecified prejudice of the moment.

iwire

Staff member
I've also seen employers have fits when someone shows up with one of those (completely legitimate) "cowboy" hard hats..

We don't allow such foolishness.

Employers and customers can make any rules they want beyond the requirements of OSHA.

Whatever the issue is, it's not a 'safety' issue- and 'safety' ought not be hijacked to enforce every unspecified prejudice of the moment.

Zog posted the rules ....... they remain the rules regardless if you agree or not with the reasons for them.

renosteinke

"Zog posted the rules ..." And that's supposed to be an answer, or end the discussion?

What if ... "Zog" posted that "OSHA punts this one ...?"

What if ... the manufacturers say it's OK?

So where's the safety issue- and what is there for anyone to 'dislike?'

What needs to be disliked is management personnel exceeding thier authority, and simply lying about safety in order to enforce their spur-of-the-moment feelings.

zog

We saw this well illustrated when the issue of wearing the hard hat 'backwards' came up. When all was said and done, at the heart of the matter was one person objecting to the fashion choice of another. It wasn't a "safety" issue at all - but an attempt was made to enforce a fashion statement, using 'safety' as the excuse.

Wearing the suspension system backwards is an OSHA violation. They are specifically designed only to work when worn correctly. Put your hard hat on and pound your fist on top of your head, then tuen it around backwards and do it again, notice a difference.

renosteinke

Zog, you are incorrect.

OSHA simply wants the hats to meet the ANSI standard. OSHA's letter ruling on this point refers back to the manufacturer's instructions, and whether the hat has been tested 'backwards.'

Mind you, I am referring to the situation where the shell has been 'reversed' in respect to the liner, and is worn with the liner worn correctly.

Look at the ANSI test, and all you'll find is an evaluation to a specified direct strike from above. The direction the brim points has zero influence on the test.

Getting back to the manufacturers' instructions .... last year, at this very site, the issue was raised. Every manufacturer contacted assured us that their hats were, in fact, tested and rated with the brims reversed. My current MSA hat even came with that marking on the packaging.

It was pointed out that 'reversed' hats are often a requirement for certain tasks, such as welding. The dispute was simply one of fashion- not safety.

zog

No, I am not wrong, read my post again. I specifically said suspension system, not shell. You can reverse the shell but many companies do not allow it in their policies because it is hard to police.

Status
Not open for further replies.