Energized work - order of procedures?

Status
Not open for further replies.

krist003

Can someone elighten me on the order and neccessary procedures in order to work on an energized piece of equipment? Like a dummy checklist. There are so many things to consider, I am having a hard time putting it all together. Something like this below, although I know I am not even nearly there.

1. Equipment must be unable to be shutdown for energized work
2. Must fill out Energized work permit
3. Must complete arc flach calcs
4. Must use qualified electrical worker
5. Must use barricades and caution tape
6. Must use PPE
7. ETC....

Appreciate the help

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Basic procedures are outlined in NFPA-70E,(70E) Annexs I & J. You will still need to bite the bullet an carefully review 70E Art 120 to determine how it appliies specifically to your own work activities; however, it isn't but a few pages and is fairly straight forward.

pfalcon

Can someone elighten me on the order and neccessary procedures in order to work on an energized piece of equipment? Like a dummy checklist. There are so many things to consider, I am having a hard time putting it all together. Something like this below, although I know I am not even nearly there.

1. Equipment must be unable to be shutdown for energized work
2. Must fill out Energized work permit
3. Must complete arc flach calcs
4. Must use qualified electrical worker
5. Must use barricades and caution tape
6. Must use PPE
7. ETC....

Appreciate the help

Not even half of that should be on that specific checklist. (3) should already have been completed whether the work is energized or locked out. (4) and (6) are general requirements to perform any electrical work. (5) is also a general requirement but specifies that you must control the work area not how you accomplish that. General requirements should be fulfilled before specific requirements. See the previously referenced articles in the 70E.

jimmac49

Make sure you have a saftey job briefing before the work begins and that everyone understands what the task is. Have a plan in place in case something goes badly. Who will call 911, who will administer CPR, call who ever else needs to be notified, etc. Someone in the crew or all of the crew should be CPR qualified.

jeremysterling

None of this is from OSHA, but from another era or sphere of work that involved no liability or criminal culpability. Proceed at your own risk.:blink:

Beyond your list, it can go something like this:

1. Man at disconnect to turn off power in emergency.
2. If disconnect not in the same compartment, man with communications in the compartment to call man 1.
3. Man in compartment trained in CPR (can be the same as man 2.)
4. Man holding rope tied to worker (can be man 3. but not man 2.)
5. Build "rubber room" insulating all metal surrounding worker.
6. Install protective insulating floor mat.
7. Insulate all tools the worker will use.

Status
Not open for further replies.