Beware of Electric Blankets!

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevebea

I found this out first hand on Dec. 30, 2011. I wont mention the manufacturers name but the blanket was less than 3 weeks old and started a fire on the bed when nobody was home. The blanket was plugged in but the controller was not turned on. I knew there was some problems years ago with electric blankets/ heating pads but never gave it a thought when I told my wife to buy the blanket, I was just tired of fighting over the thermostat. :( Anyways, I have plenty of time to think about while we are staying in an apartment for the next 5 month. Be safe guy's !

iMuse97

Thanks for the heads up. Hope things start looking up for you. I was recently thinking about getting electric blankets after 15 years of not having them in the house... might be reconsidering that option.

97catintenn

I was once shocked by my electric blanket, in the middle of the night and in a nice slumber. The dog had chewed on the cord that plugs into the blanket earlier in the day while it was off...and sometime in the night, the cord fell in between my toes! YIKES, I jumped out of bed and was wide awake :)

Still looking forward to hearing who the manufacturer was to the OPs blanket

stevebea

Why NOT mention the brand and model?

You aren't helping anyone by keeping that info a secret, except the company that burnt your house down.

Also, was the blanket on an AFCI protected circuit?

I wasn't sure forum rules would allow me to disclose that info or not but anyways, it was a Sunbeam Arlington heated blanket and no it wasn't on a AFCI protected circuit. My insurance company had a fire expert come out to determine cause and origion and based on his findings they have already put Sunbeam on legal notice.

Status
Not open for further replies.