Electrical Safety how much rest??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Other than common senses and using good judgment, does anyone know of a rule or law that prevents employers from requiring a person to do electrical work when they have not had at least 7 to 8 hrs of rest in between shifts?? I do understand a person can voluntarily do it, but to require it for electrical work I thought it was against a rule.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
Other than common senses and using good judgment, does anyone know of a rule or law that prevents employers from requiring a person to do electrical work when they have not had at least 7 to 8 hrs of rest in between shifts?? I do understand a person can voluntarily do it, but to require it for electrical work I thought it was against a rule.

That is all up to you if you want the money it is there if not someone else will do it.

Many people work 2 full time jobs so they are lucky to get 5 hours of sleep daily

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Pulled many 16-20 hr shifts. Nobody tried to make me stop and had I been asked if I wanted to go home I would have answered, "NO".

I remember one all nighter I, and my workmate, finished up at around 3:00 AM. We had both phoned home to say we would be late and don't wait up. I saw his wife the next day. "Holy Cow we worked late last night! I don't think I got home until eleven thirty."

"What!" she said. "Clark didn't get home till @%&$ four in the morning!"

"Uhmm, really, I dunno know what...Uhhh he.... well..." I stammered, while biting my cheek so hard it almost bleed to keep from cracking a smile.

He got the third degree from his wife, but eventually he convinced her to consider the source. She did, and we all laugh about it now.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I believe that our local POCO can work 36 hours, before they are requiired to take a break. It used to be longer, but I think their union got involved.

jumper

Pulled many 16-20 hr shifts. Nobody tried to make me stop and had I been asked if I wanted to go home I would have answered, "NO".

I remember one all nighter I, and my workmate, finished up at around 3:00 AM. We had both phoned home to say we would be late and don't wait up. I saw his wife the next day. "Holy Cow we worked late last night! I don't think I got home until eleven thirty."

"What!" she said. "Clark didn't get home till @%&$ four in the morning!"

"Uhmm, really, I dunno know what...Uhhh he.... well..." I stammered, while biting my cheek so hard it almost bleed to keep from cracking a smile.

He got the third degree from his wife, but eventually he convinced her to consider the source. She did, and we all laugh about it now.

Now that was funny.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I used to work in an industry that did publish a very specific rule (actually, not so much of a "rule," and more of a "federal law") on this subject. It has been a while, and I might not be remembering it correctly, but I think it went like this:
  • No more than 16 hours in a single working period.
  • No more than 24 hours of work in any 48 hour period.
  • A minimum of 8 hours off between working periods.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I worked through an ice storm in 2002. Worked 134 hours in 7 days. Had 1 guy that worked 137. (Wed-Wed) I love double time...

pfalcon

I used to work in an industry that did publish a very specific rule (actually, not so much of a "rule," and more of a "federal law") on this subject. It has been a while, and I might not be remembering it correctly, but I think it went like this:
  • No more than 16 hours in a single working period.
  • No more than 24 hours of work in any 48 hour period.
  • A minimum of 8 hours off between working periods.

Though not trades work, at the insurance office my wife worked at they had from their study tables:
16 hrs over 3 days
12 hrs over 1 week (40+20 hrs)
10 hrs over 2 weeks (80+20 hrs)

Work hours exceeding the above caused a net loss in production. Following any of these periods required a regular work week (40 hrs) before repeating in order to recover.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Other than some specific union rules or government rules (like for pilots) I do not think there are many rules about this.

The thing is that someone who is working long hours reaches a point where the work is not being done real efficiently, but sometimes it is more important to get it done than that it be done efficiently.

You can also get to the point where you are unsafe just because you are tired.

I do not think there is a good answer to this problem other than to try and limit long hours as best you can.

T

T.M.Haja Sahib

Working long without rest is hazardous to health.Even more hazardous to health is working without stabilizing the periodicity of rest.

One point that caught my eyes is the ten days period for adapting to night shifts.May be,three weeks period would be better.

renosteinke

Despite countless attempts, sice the dawn of Man, to make man conform to some perceived 'need' or 'emergency,' the data is clear: Vary from the "norm" and you WILL pay a price.

The French Revolutionaries experimented with 10 hour days and 10 day weeks.

The Soviets began beating back the German invaders right about the time they admitted that rest was necessary. Coincidence? Well, they certainly thought it was proven well enogh to justify shooting commanders who failed to allow for adequate rest. Quite a change from the retreat, when they shot commanders for the opposite reason.

The fact is, while it is well established that 'fatigue' causes bad things to happen, it's devilishly difficult to either define or measure fatigue. It's also amazingly difficult to determine exactly what increases ior lessens fatigue.

Probably the most damaging effect of fatigue is that your judgement becomes unreliable. Forget about falling asleep at the wheel; instead, it makes perfect sense to drive hundreds of miles in the wrong direction.

One really can't discuss, or address, the issue without challenging the very foundation of 'industrial engineering,' as expounded by Taylor. In his model, there's absolutely no room for the individual; it's all clipboards and stop watches. "Fatigue," as a concept, simply does not exist.

Unfortunately, it is the "Taylor" framework that drives Union contracts and work rules; the rigid system does not allow for a man to take breaks as needed, but only at defined times. About all you can do is play the 'safety' card; this is hard to do successfully, as there is invariably someone else available who is not fatigued. Thus, you wind up trying to explain "I can do it now but not then."

So, one is certain to have to make a stand at some point. Take the break and take the consequences. Since they've made it clear that they don't need you, let them have it their way- without you.

Besoeker

Well-known rumor (rumour), on this side of the pond.
This sounds like a bit of humour that was circulated here about thirty years ago.
I don't remember the circumstances that sparked it off but it was probably proposed closer ties with Europe and metrication.
Ten hour days, ten day weeks, and a year to be renamed a kiloday.
Superannuation would thus become superkilodayuation.

Status
Not open for further replies.