hard hat Phenolic shell

Status
Not open for further replies.

hurk27

For Electricians we are required to use the plastic ones, all the hardware is also plastic to prevent shock hazards if your helmet was to ever come into contact with a live conductor, these helmets have a large V on top and are accepted by OSHA/MSA/ANSI as a class E, and actually withstand quite abit of abuse, many of the other types are not listed for electrical use, and have metal insert clips and hardware.

I believe this is the one we use:
MSA V Gard

Last edited:

renosteinke

OK, I see there's a little bit of confusion ...

Most hard hats you see have a 'general use' rating, and some also have an 'electrical' rating as well.

"Electricians" are not required by any government rule to use any hard hat at all. Many firms suply 'bump caps,' which don't have any rating at all.

It's worth noting that NO vented hard hat carries the 'electrical' rating. I don't think that's an issue; I've seen far more problems from heat stress than electrical shocks to the head.

A hard hat may be made from anything; there are still such hats made from stainless steel.

The "phenolic" hats are said (by thier users) to be more comfortable and lighter in weight than the typical plastic hats. They are certainly much more heat resistant; I've had to enter areas (briefly) that would turn the usual hard hat into silly putty - even for that brief exposure. It's almost as if the plastic 'catches' the heat. Go in wearing a 'cowboy' style hat, and you come out wearing an 'Amish Farmer" style hat :D

Personally, I think the main attraction of the phenolic hats is their trimmer fit and smoother style. The plastic ones usually have some sort of ridges molded into them.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
On a lighter note...

The biggest advantage is it prevents your skull from getting cracked open! (you didn't say compared to a plastic one):slaphead:

Another reason I didn't see mentioned here is that the phenolic holds paint better allowing for personal graphics. May not be desirable for the owner of you Company though.

fmtjfw

OK, I see there's a little bit of confusion ...

Most hard hats you see have a 'general use' rating, and some also have an 'electrical' rating as well.

"Electricians" are not required by any government rule to use any hard hat at all. Many firms suply 'bump caps,' which don't have any rating at all.

It's worth noting that NO vented hard hat carries the 'electrical' rating. I don't think that's an issue; I've seen far more problems from heat stress than electrical shocks to the head.

A hard hat may be made from anything; there are still such hats made from stainless steel.

The "phenolic" hats are said (by thier users) to be more comfortable and lighter in weight than the typical plastic hats. They are certainly much more heat resistant; I've had to enter areas (briefly) that would turn the usual hard hat into silly putty - even for that brief exposure. It's almost as if the plastic 'catches' the heat. Go in wearing a 'cowboy' style hat, and you come out wearing an 'Amish Farmer" style hat :D

Personally, I think the main attraction of the phenolic hats is their trimmer fit and smoother style. The plastic ones usually have some sort of ridges molded into them.

West Virginia has adopted NFPA 90E "Standard for Electrical Safety in the Workplace" so it has the force of law in WV. Any situation above hazard/risk category 0 requires a hard hat.

Status
Not open for further replies.