NFPA-70E

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barry1

Removing cover on 277/480v lighting panel to install a new conduit while the panel is energized. What is the correct hazard risk category (HRC) for this task? I am not planning on intentionally coming into contact with exposed live parts, but I am of course exposed to live parts.

zog

Removing cover on 277/480v lighting panel to install a new conduit while the panel is energized. What is the correct hazard risk category (HRC) for this task? I am not planning on intentionally coming into contact with exposed live parts, but I am of course exposed to live parts.

Depends on your available fault current and clearing time of the OCPD. The big question is why do you feel this needs to be done while energized? Can you justify it?

Barry1

yes i can justify it...I am looking at the tables in the 70E booklet utlizing note 1 of maximum 25ka short circuit is available.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
active hospital
Not good enough. Planned shutdowns are taken in hospitals every day. There is not an exception that says you can do hot work in a hospital. It would be a rare case where the rules would permit hot work, even in a hospital.

If they can't take a planned shut down to do the work, then what will happen if something goes wrong and there is an unplanned one????

zog

yes i can justify it...I am looking at the tables in the 70E booklet utlizing note 1 of maximum 25ka short circuit is available.

So what is the available fault current in the panel you will be working in? What about the 2 cycle clearing time, does the system meet that requirement?

Flex

The 70e pdf has a form in the back for all parties to sign if live work is required. Present that form to the hospital and request a signature or a shutdown. Might change their mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.