Can't upload image.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Trying to attach an image to another post. It is a 288kB jpeg. I'm getting the error "Image resize failed due to your image library not having support for this image type."
Other files get a simple "Error uploading image". Tried a PNG, didn't work, but it was larger file, but only about 914kB.

A 288kB jpeg just seems like something that should be supported. Also it would be nice to have any limitations stated somewhere, I think the old forum software stated size limits and formats supported.

New forum software needs more setting up, I presume.

ITgeek

Same for me. Just (re)joined the forum. Tried .jpg, .png, and .gif files.

edit: Did some Google perusing and looks like there are settings in the admin Control Panel (which us normal folk don't get to play with). Since the forum was down over the weekend I'm betting on a code upgrade, with some settings not getting passed along. I previously installed/administered a phpBB system, and have seen these types of problems.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If you use a web image storing site like shutterfly then you can post the pic web address and add the tags
and that should show the pic

kwired

Electron manager
can't seem to embed code to display an image hosted elsewhere either, which is what majority of people did with the old forum, uploading to this site never worked all that good for many on the old forum either.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Here is what it looks like

[img]https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/ng/services/mediarender/THISLIFE/001056403064/media/93048337150/medium/1209587520/enhance[/img]

I did this by adding noparse /noparse at the beginning and end and in brackets

kwired

Electron manager
Here is what it looks like

[img]https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/ng/services/mediarender/THISLIFE/001056403064/media/93048337150/medium/1209587520/enhance[/img]

I did this by adding noparse /noparse at the beginning and end and in brackets
tried using the insert link tool and posting image address like I did on old forum- doesn't work that tool is supposed to do some of those technical things for you AFAIK.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
What were the dimensions of the .gif?
I got my 48 x 48 GIF avatar to install. I went to "My Profile" under my username "al hildenbrand" and used the avatar editor found by hovering my mouse over the image of my avatar shown in the page that opened.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Okay I tried the gif and saved it as a png-- same exact size and it had the same issue. I have not tried the other formats

al hildenbrand

Occupation
856 kb--- it was avatar size
Interesting Dennis. 856 kiloBytes is huge. I got vBulletin ERROR declarations on much smaller GIF file sizes.

Let me ask, when you go to your "My Profile" and you look at the tabs extending to the right from your avatar, do you see four tabs (like file folder tabs) "ACTVITIES" "SUBSCRIBED" "ABOUT" and "MEDIA"?

And when you click on the "MEDIA" tab, does, what opens, include "ADD PHOTO"?

Mine doesn't. And, according to the vBulletin HELP documentation, it is supposed to.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Interesting Dennis. 856 kiloBytes is huge. I got vBulletin ERROR declarations on much smaller GIF file sizes.

Let me ask, when you go to your "My Profile" and you look at the tabs extending to the right from your avatar, do you see four tabs (like file folder tabs) "ACTVITIES" "SUBSCRIBED" "ABOUT" and "MEDIA"?

And when you click on the "MEDIA" tab, does, what opens, include "ADD PHOTO"?

Mine doesn't. And, according to the vBulletin HELP documentation, it is supposed to.

My says add photo and another tab that says add video

al hildenbrand

Occupation
My says add photo and another tab that says add video
Thank you Dennis !

That underscores another factotum for the web servants. My MEDIA tab does have the Add Video radio button, but Add Photo is glaringly absent.

I suspect that you have a little more photo handling ability in your MOD interface than that of us, the unwashed commoners.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.