Can't upload image.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Interesting Dennis. 856 kiloBytes is huge. I got vBulletin ERROR declarations on much smaller GIF file sizes.

Let me ask, when you go to your "My Profile" and you look at the tabs extending to the right from your avatar, do you see four tabs (like file folder tabs) "ACTVITIES" "SUBSCRIBED" "ABOUT" and "MEDIA"?

And when you click on the "MEDIA" tab, does, what opens, include "ADD PHOTO"?

Mine doesn't. And, according to the vBulletin HELP documentation, it is supposed to.
856 bytes maybe? GIF files can use run-length compression to reduce file size when there are large areas of a uniform color. An uncompressed black and white bitmap of an 83x100 image could be as small as 8,300 bits plus some header bytes. That would be about 1000 bytes. An image with only a few colors can use a custom color list to represent all the colors actually used in only a few bits per pixel. Combine that with run length endcoding and 856 bytes is not impossible.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
856 bytes maybe? GIF files can use run-length compression to reduce file size when there are large areas of a uniform color. An uncompressed black and white bitmap of an 83x100 image could be as small as 8,300 bits plus some header bytes. That would be about 1000 bytes. An image with only a few colors can use a custom color list to represent all the colors actually used in only a few bits per pixel. Combine that with run length endcoding and 856 bytes is not impossible.

When I use my browser to save that image from Dennis' post, I get a file size of 9KB.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
An uncompressed black and white bitmap of an 83x100 image could be as small as 8,300 bits plus some header bytes. That would be about 1000 bytes.

Yes. I personally attempted an avatar edit of an 64 x 80 BMP color image and got the "undefined imagedestroy()" vBulletin error.

Did you note that Alwon1951 (Dennis Alwon's non-Mod access), in post #21, varified the inability to edit images, even with the avatar editor embedded in the default avatar image in My Profile?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Even with mod privileges I can not edit my avatar (have taken it down to 80 x 80) nor can I add an image even using the
tags, keep getting the "image library" thing, of course I must add I haven't tried to hard.

Roger

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
The answer is, yes, of course it was tested. The second question is "Was the testing rigorous enough, judging by the number of residual problems?"
And the answer to that is, probably not.

Rigorous testing? That's what the user community is for! Besides, all of the programs compiled! <-- old IT jokes

Status
Not open for further replies.