No announcement yet.

Go to meter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The impedance problem can be worked out by putting a second T+ on the voltage source. If you have one of course.
    Tom
    TBLO

Comment

Originally posted by zbang View Post

That's why I like the Fluke- does continuity without an external power source, is low-impedance, and is CAT rated. The flashlight and ohm readings are just a bonus. And, in theory, you can also use it for checking phase rotation but I've never tried. Only downside is you have to replace the AAA batteries every so often (year?).
      Agreed, and I use that little flashlight.

Comment

My Go To device is my Greenlee tick tracer. I think it's a GT-10 or 30 or something.

I love this tracer. If I hold the wires properly, it won't alert on phantom voltage. So far, it's the only one I have had that works that way. In the event of any suspicion, the next item is my Ideal Vol-Con II, which is a solenoid tester with a battery for continuity.

I love trouble shooting, and have a collection of meters and tracers etc., the above is fast and to the point.

Let the tick tracer haters flame on.
        Cheers and Stay Safe,

Marky the Sparky

Comment

Fluke T+ Pro, with the Knopp for backup if I suspect ghost voltage.

Comment

Fieldpiece SC260 Compact Clamp. Everything I need, except the Fluke 1AC tick tracer that I use just as often.

My main meter needs to have a clamp for AC amperage, and I need features that measure capacitance and accept a clamp probe to measure tubing temperature.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow View Post
              Fluke T+ Pro, with the Knopp for backup if I suspect ghost voltage.
              How often do ever see ghost voltages with the T-pro (and not with the Knopp)? Or, is the Knopp's impedance that much lower than the Fluke? Neither one's data sheets has a number on that.

Comment

Originally posted by zbang View Post

How often do ever see ghost voltages with the T-pro (and not with the Knopp)? Or, is the Knopp's impedance that much lower than the Fluke? Neither one's data sheets has a number on that.
                Less than once a year.

It does pretty good, but every once in a while I get the Knopp out to verify, just to be sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael15956 View Post
                  I have a few meters/amp probe and receptacle testers for troubleshooting in the residential and commercial areas but my go to meter is a Kline wiggie with a built in continuity tester. I use this meter about 90% of the time.

What is everyone go to meter?
                  fluke 12. not in production any more. doesn't matter, i have one of them,
                  and two backups bought NIB on ebay.
                  ~New signature under construction.~
                  ~~~~Please excuse the mess.~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Fulthrotl View Post

fluke 12. not in production any more. doesn't matter, i have one of them,
                    and two backups bought NIB on ebay.
                    Gotcha beat. I have four and a fluke 11 also.
                    If Billy Idol is on your playlist go reevaluate your life.

Comment

Originally posted by ActionDave View Post

Gotcha beat. I have four and a fluke 11 also.
                      i have two orange thingies on my statoos bar, and you have none. pfffttt....

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Fulthrotl View Post

i have two orange thingies on my statoos bar, and you have none. pfffttt....
                          I turned my meter off because I had so many I didn't everyone else to feel bad....
                          They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
                          She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
                          I can't help it if I'm lucky

Comment

Originally posted by Michael15956 View Post
                            I have a few meters/amp probe and receptacle testers for troubleshooting in the residential and commercial areas but my go to meter is a Kline wiggie with a built in continuity tester. I use this meter about 90% of the time.

What is everyone go to meter?
                            My go-to work-a-day meter has been a switchless voltage / continuity tester, a Greenlee GT-95:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Greenlee GT 95.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	2530406
                            The picture doesn't show the two test leads, which I always keep plugged in. It has a non-contact voltage detector, single probe voltage indication, and two probe voltage measurement. The change over to continuity is automatic. There is a GFCI 5 milliamp test current circuit.

Another Al in Minnesota

Comment

Originally posted by al hildenbrand View Post

My go-to work-a-day meter has been a switchless voltage / continuity tester, a Greenlee GT-95:

The picture doesn't show the two test leads, which I always keep plugged in. It has a non-contact voltage detector, single probe voltage indication, and two probe voltage measurement. The change over to continuity is automatic. There is a GFCI 5 milliamp test current circuit.
                              As with the Vol-con, how do you tell the difference between a voltage indication and a continuity indication? There's no question about your reading with a single-function tester.
                              Master Electrician
                              Electrical Contractor
                              Richmond, VA

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis Alwon View Post

I turned my meter off because I had so many I didn't everyone else to feel bad....
                                hovering over.... "has disabled reputation" appears.

that is even more cool than four fluke 12's.

Comment

Working...
                                X