Go to meter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael15956

I have a few meters/amp probe and receptacle testers for troubleshooting in the residential and commercial areas but my go to meter is a Kline wiggie with a built in continuity tester. I use this meter about 90% of the time.

What is everyone go to meter?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Knopp K-60.

One hundred years ago I took your advise and bought that meter. Honestly, I never used it.

I really don't care too much as long as they work-- I use a clamp on Ideal multimeter about $80. Works fine. I have a digital multimeter that with an adapter as a gaussmeter. Other than that, that is it

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Sell it to me. I'll use it just about every day. It's my #1 troubleshooting tool.

I only use a voltmeter when I need to know the specific voltage.

Pm me your address--- I have it packed already--I'll send it tomorrow and you can pay the shipping, if you are satisfied...$75 tool for the shipping -- not a bad deal :lol:. I really make my money when I sell your address to marketers- hahahaha

Michael15956

Well it looks like the solenoid tester is a favorite! Like Larry, most of the time I don't need to know the specific voltage.

Them Knopp K-60 are cool but no continuity light, which means grab another meter.

With a power source, a tester can be used to test for continuity, and maybe more reliably because of the low-impedance feature.

That's why I like the Fluke- does continuity without an external power source, is low-impedance, and is CAT rated. The flashlight and ohm readings are just a bonus. And, in theory, you can also use it for checking phase rotation but I've never tried. Only downside is you have to replace the AAA batteries every so often (year?).

Michael15956

That's why I like the Fluke- does continuity without an external power source, is low-impedance, and is CAT rated. The flashlight and ohm readings are just a bonus. And, in theory, you can also use it for checking phase rotation but I've never tried. Only downside is you have to replace the AAA batteries every so often (year?).

Agreed, and I use that little flashlight.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
My Go To device is my Greenlee tick tracer. I think it's a GT-10 or 30 or something.

I love this tracer. If I hold the wires properly, it won't alert on phantom voltage. So far, it's the only one I have had that works that way. In the event of any suspicion, the next item is my Ideal Vol-Con II, which is a solenoid tester with a battery for continuity.

I love trouble shooting, and have a collection of meters and tracers etc., the above is fast and to the point.

Let the tick tracer haters flame on.

MAC702

Fieldpiece SC260 Compact Clamp. Everything I need, except the Fluke 1AC tick tracer that I use just as often.

My main meter needs to have a clamp for AC amperage, and I need features that measure capacitance and accept a clamp probe to measure tubing temperature.

Status
Not open for further replies.