Go to meter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
How often do ever see ghost voltages with the T-pro (and not with the Knopp)? Or, is the Knopp's impedance that much lower than the Fluke? Neither one's data sheets has a number on that.

Less than once a year.

It does pretty good, but every once in a while I get the Knopp out to verify, just to be sure.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
I have a few meters/amp probe and receptacle testers for troubleshooting in the residential and commercial areas but my go to meter is a Kline wiggie with a built in continuity tester. I use this meter about 90% of the time.

What is everyone go to meter?

fluke 12. not in production any more. doesn't matter, i have one of them,
and two backups bought NIB on ebay.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
My go-to work-a-day meter has been a switchless voltage / continuity tester, a Greenlee GT-95:

The picture doesn't show the two test leads, which I always keep plugged in. It has a non-contact voltage detector, single probe voltage indication, and two probe voltage measurement. The change over to continuity is automatic. There is a GFCI 5 milliamp test current circuit.
As with the Vol-con, how do you tell the difference between a voltage indication and a continuity indication? There's no question about your reading with a single-function tester.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
As with the Vol-con, how do you tell the difference between a voltage indication and a continuity indication? There's no question about your reading with a single-function tester.

Voltage indication is done with a single lead (the operators body capacitance is the other reference) Continuity cannot be done with a single lead.

Voltage measurement with two leads displays a voltage reading on the LCD, along with indicator lights for AC or DC and DC polarity. One can toggle a shaker as an additional voltage indicator.

Continuity measurement with two leads displays an Ohm reading (below 1K), gives an audible clear tone, and has a continuity indicator light (in a very different location than the voltage indicator lights.)

Non-contact voltage field detection lights up another LED in a third location that is marked EF (electric field.)

So, there is very different "indication" behavior with the differing functions.

If one is the kind of person that gets confused about what the third switch in a three-gang switch group is, this isn't your test instrument. If you like operating flight control panels, hey! this is a great all-in-one, in my opinion.

Michael15956

My go-to work-a-day meter has been a switchless voltage / continuity tester, a Greenlee GT-95:

The picture doesn't show the two test leads, which I always keep plugged in. It has a non-contact voltage detector, single probe voltage indication, and two probe voltage measurement. The change over to continuity is automatic. There is a GFCI 5 milliamp test current circuit.

I like that

Status
Not open for further replies.