Reading 120v to ground on neutrals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tmeyers1228

New User
Three receptacles and a ceiling fan are all on the same circuit being fed from a few lights in the attic. The receptacle feeding the other receptacles and light had 3 romexes coming in, one thing I found odd was the neutral and hot on the same Romex were both wire nutted to the hots and the remaining 2 neutrals were tied together. I tested the neutral by itself tied to the hots and it read 120-ground and 0v to everything else. The hot being fed from the attic reads 120 to ground and 0 between hot and neutral. I tested the breaker and the panel and the 20 amp breaker reads 120 to ground. I didn’t have time to check out the feed coming from the attic today, but I’m assuming it’s a damaged neutral somewhere between the attic and the first recep it hits. Home owner has lived there for four years and it all of a sudden all went out at the same time, said it worked again once a week later then went out for good since then, everything worked fine with the neutral and hot on the same romex tied to the hots, (I’m assuming this was to create 240 for the light it was feeding???? I’ve never seen a neutral and hot tied together but I’m somewhat new at this. Going back to take a look in the attic Tom, any input I’ll help thank you in advance.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
A white wire is not necessarily a neutral or a grounded conductor when using NM cable. More recent codes would have It being marked in some way to indicate its usage with a switch, but that has not always been a requirement. Electricians were trained early on to recognize the pattern.

Your description is faulty or the homeowner tried to fix it before calling for help. You may need to ask your boss for assistance.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
A white wire is not necessarily a neutral or a grounded conductor when using NM cable. More recent codes would have It being marked in some way to indicate its usage with a switch, but that has not always been a requirement. Electricians were trained early on to recognize the pattern.

Your description is faulty or the homeowner tried to fix it before calling for help. You may need to ask your boss for assistance.

Agreed. Tmeyers, you really need to get an electrician to help you and with that said I must close this thread.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.