New stove tripped the master breaker

Status
Not open for further replies.
This evening when my father's wife turned on the broiler on their new electric stove all the power was lost in the house. The old stove which was about 35 years old had never had any problems like this. My brother went over this evening to check out the problem. The 50 amp stove circuit breaker and the 100 amp master breaker were tripped. They have had a repairmen out once to repair a burner that didn't work on the new stove.

Questions:
1. Does the fact that the master breaker tripped indicate a problem in the panel, perhaps with the 50 amp circuity breaker?
2. Is the 50 amp breaker probably adequate? I don't know the brand of the stove but it's a routine 30 inch electric stove that I would have expected to have about the same power requirements as the stove it replaced.
3. Should we just call back the company that installed the stove or is it time to call in an electrician?
4. I suspect based on the age of the house that the stove connector would have been a three contact type. Could there be any issues associated with that and how the installer might have dealt with that.

The fact that the master breaker tripped struck me as strange. I have never seen a master breaker trip in any building or house that we've ever owned. But maybe it happens more often than I realized? I tend to be the person in the family that people look to for guidance on issues like this, but I am uncertain of how to proceed and I would really appreciate any help that can be provided. Thank you.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
1. A 50a breaker won't necessarily trip faster than a 100a breaker. A direct short is the most likely type of problem to trip both.

2. Yes, 50a is the most a typical range would require. The old one worked for a while; why was it replaced? Breaker ever trip?

3. By all means, yes. You shouldn't have to pay a penny more. Did the new one ever work at all?

4. Definite possibility. A new range is supposed to be wired to suit the existing circuit and receptacle.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Call the installers first then an EC. With that said I am closing the thread in accordance with the forum rules.

This site is designed for:
Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Engineers, Inspectors, Instructors, and Other electrically related individuals
* This NEC� Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.