Good Inspector?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dezwitinc

As long as an inspector applies the NEC as written and doesn't try to enforce any of his own rules, I am good with that.
When I lived in the northeast, we kept a log book for every jurisdiction.
We would refer to it so we could be sure to cover any pet peeve that the inspector might have.
In Quincy, the inspector (don't remember his name) went strictly by the book. You better put it in exactly as specified and you were okay.
He was a tough inspector but at least you knew where you stood when you crossed the city limits as opposed to other jurisdictions where the rules seemed to change daily.

ohm

As long as an inspector applies the NEC as written and doesn't try to enforce any of his own rules, I am good with that.
When I lived in the northeast, we kept a log book for every jurisdiction.
We would refer to it so we could be sure to cover any pet peeve that the inspector might have.
In Quincy, the inspector (don't remember his name) went strictly by the book. You better put it in exactly as specified and you were okay.
He was a tough inspector but at least you knew where you stood when you crossed the city limits as opposed to other jurisdictions where the rules seemed to change daily.

I asked the Chief Electrical where I do a lot of work to make up a list of the items above & beyond the Code i.e. grounding yokes with wire in addition to box ground screw, not grounding the meterbase, a compression connector on each conduit used for supplemental protection, no more than 12 lights or receptacles on a 20A ckt. etc.

That was 3 yers ago...still no list. So, I've started my own and sometimes I get a "correction" because some other item surfaces. I bite the bullet and move on.

SEO

Thanks everyone for your input. I've been an electrical inspector for over 28 years and contractor for 35 years and I know how I like to be treated by inspectors and I try to treat others the same as how I want to be treated. There were a broad range of thoughts in the posts and I learned some valuable information that I can apply.

hardworkingstiff

As to the "enforce the code, not the want" issue, I find that to be the most frustrating issue. I am still amazed at how many inspectors I see or read about in this forum who have the "I am the guy" syndrome. Either it's in the books (local law, code, regulation, whatever), or not.

Plain and simple.

I like plain and simple.

Thank you.

Treat all electicans the way you would like to be treated, I believe one of our main jobs as an inspector is to help with education of the code. do not go out into the field and treat the men and women in the trade like you are trying to see how many corrections you can write.This was my approach to inspecting and I made a lot of friends on account of it.

One who enforces only the rules that are written, and not make things up as they go.

One who treats you like a human being, faults and all.

One who is willing to discuss differences in a calm, rational, adult manner.

One who can make suggestions about an installation (either existing or proposed) as to what can/must be done to bring it into compliance with the code.

One who is willing to go to lunch with you, if the timing is right. Of course, he/she will not accept you paying for his/her meal.

Ditto plus actually walks the site, inspects boxes.

I'v worked in 2 states now, VT and AZ, VT has it all over AZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.