Splices in Sub-Panel Feeders

Status
Not open for further replies.

BMacky

I located a sub-panel installed OVER a old glass fuse panel where they simply bored holes in the back of the new panel, spliced extensions on every conductor, ran them through the new panel (still in a closet) and called it a day. Oh ya, in the main panel, the sub-feed conduit penetrated the gaping hole that was made to fit the new main (years back) and they "bonded" the conduit to the new panel by clamping a piece of #14 solid between the lock ring and collar on the connector, and lugging the other end on the bus. Yahoo ( or is that yee-haw?)!.

Anyhow, I am going to fix all this BUT am wondering in case I am asked, what is the article, if any, that cites no splices in feeders? I am told it's just unprofessional and agree, but I looked and so far have not found anything. Looked through Article 215 but that was it. I've always run continuous feeders but never had a Code-specific reason.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

stickboy1375

Anyhow, I am going to fix all this BUT am wondering in case I am asked, what is the article, if any, that cites no splices in feeders? I am told it's just unprofessional and agree, but I looked and so far have not found anything. Looked through Article 215 but that was it. I've always run continuous feeders but never had a Code-specific reason.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Its not a violation or unprofessional.

M. D.

you can splice feeders ,.. for that matter you can splice service entrance conductors

raider1

Staff member

Any ideas?

Thanks.

There is no code that prohibits installing splices in a feeder.

Chris

BMacky

Thanks for the replies! What would you do in a case like this as far as the splices go? What is an approved method? Split-bolts and rubber/friction tape?

Thanks.

raider1

Staff member
Thanks for the replies! What would you do in a case like this as far as the splices go? What is an approved method? Split-bolts and rubber/friction tape?

Thanks.

Split bolts and rubber/friction tape is one way to go or you can use Polaris style lugs.

Chris

BMacky

Split bolts and rubber/friction tape is one way to go or you can use Polaris style lugs.

Chris

Ok, thanks, but one last question since this whole box is unconventional anyway. As I mentioned the new panel covers the old fuse box, so you have inaccessible splices there that need to be moved and accessible. If you were to put these into new j-boxes and re-feed the panel, would you separate the feeders from other conductors? Currently they share the old fuse panel box with all branch circuit conductors. That doesn't seem kosher to me.

raider1

Staff member
Ok, thanks, but one last question since this whole box is unconventional anyway. As I mentioned the new panel covers the old fuse box, so you have inaccessible splices there that need to be moved and accessible. If you were to put these into new j-boxes and re-feed the panel, would you separate the feeders from other conductors? Currently they share the old fuse panel box with all branch circuit conductors. That doesn't seem kosher to me.

Provided that the J-box is properly sized there is no reason that you can't have a feeder splice and branch circuit splices and conductors in the same box.

Chris

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
would you separate the feeders from other conductors? Currently they share the old fuse panel box with all branch circuit conductors. That doesn't seem kosher to me.

:confused:

You know when you wire the new panel the feeders are combined with the BC conductors, right?

Greg1707

Occupation
Business owner Electrical contractor
splices in panel

splices in panel

I am installing a 100 amp panel next to a 200 amp panel. They will be connected by conduit. To make space for the breaker for the feeder to the new panel I am disconnecting a 20 amp A/C breaker. I intend to splice the A/C wires and run them thought the feeder conduit to a breaker in the new panel.
I showed my plans to the AHJ and was told I could not splice wires in the panel because the "manufacturer of the panel does not allow it."
I suppose that is the final word!

Because of this I will now have to pull the wire for A/C out of the main panel. Install a junction box because the wires are not long enough and extend them to the added panel. All of this in a very confined space.

ceb58

I am installing a 100 amp panel next to a 200 amp panel. They will be connected by conduit. To make space for the breaker for the feeder to the new panel I am disconnecting a 20 amp A/C breaker. I intend to splice the A/C wires and run them thought the feeder conduit to a breaker in the new panel.
I showed my plans to the AHJ and was told I could not splice wires in the panel because the "manufacturer of the panel does not allow it."

Because of this I will now have to pull the wire for A/C out of the main panel. Install a junction box because the wires are not long enough and extend them to the added panel. All of this in a very confined space.

And can he show you that in writing?

Cow

Occupation
Electrician

If that's the case, I would definitely not like doing service changes in his jurisdiction. Extending short wires is done all the time.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

The inspector is incorrect and should not have the final word if he's wrong. Tell him to read 312.8. What you proposed is code compliant. Only possible problem is if the conduit is longer than 24" because you may have a derating issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.