Step in front of electrical equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
The 08 NEC prohibits over current devices from being over the steps in a stairway.
240.24 (F) Not Located over Steps. Overcurrent devices shall not be located over steps of a stairway.

Due to a miscalculation in floor heights, a step has to be added between an electrical room and the space outside. Rather than put the step outside which would be a tripping hazard as you walk past the door to the electrical room, the architect asked if he can place it inside the electrical room. This would be a change of elevation (7" step up) approximately 48" into the room occuring in the workspace between a 480V MCC on the north side and a 480V switchboard on the south side.

Obviously we told the architect that this is not acceptable since it would create a tripping hazard to someone troubleshooting an MCC bucket (in proper PPE, of course!). The architect has asked for us to send him a photocopy of the code reference. We reference 110.26 to "...permit ready and safe operation and maintenance..." of the equipment. We also see that the 2008 code reference 240.24(F) where OCP's cannot be located over steps of a stairway, but we are working in California where their code references NEC 2005. 70E could be used as back-up referencing having to maintain a safe and clear work area.

Can anyone think of any other references?

Hmmmm......

How about a cover that lifts up while the door opens and drops level after the door is closed?

Jim W in Tampa

Hmmmm......

How about a cover that lifts up while the door opens and drops level after the door is closed?

How about this, we bidded based on the print we were given. You made mistake not us. Yes we must meet nec and that is an extra if mr engineer made mistake. So not our problem. You draw up the new plans and get them approved. Not the EC problem its all yours.

pfalcon

Where in 110.26 does the section mention the floor or platform has to be even?

Would you accept a post planted 2 feet in front of the panel? It doesn't matter if the obstacle is positive (a post) or negative (a hole in the floor); it violates the clear working space.

Safe maintenance cannot be performed when you are threatened by a stairwell behind your ankles. Does it have to be perfectly even? No. At what point is it a violation? We could argue that. This isn't such a case.

edit:
Make him put up the handrails for the staircase. Do you still have working clearance?

Last edited:

dcspector

Would you accept a post planted 2 feet in front of the panel? It doesn't matter if the obstacle is positive (a post) or negative (a hole in the floor); it violates the clear working space.

Safe maintenance cannot be performed when you are threatened by a stairwell behind your ankles. Does it have to be perfectly even? No. At what point is it a violation? We could argue that. This isn't such a case.

edit:
Make him put up the handrails for the staircase. Do you still have working clearance?

I think you misunderstood me and no I was not clear on what I meant. I was thinking of a slightly sloping floor.....No biggy forget about it...Thanks.

How about this, we bidded based on the print we were given. You made mistake not us. Yes we must meet nec and that is an extra if mr engineer made mistake. So not our problem. You draw up the new plans and get them approved. Not the EC problem its all yours.

You are correct. I did not say that the EC needs to pay for it, just that he can offer a creative solution to the architect that is acceptable to him.

As far as the OP question:

Article 100, Definitions:

I. General
Accessible (as applied to equipment).​
Admitting close approach; not guarded by locked doors, elevation, or other effective means.
Accessible, Readily (Readily Accessible).​
Capable of being reached quickly for operation, renewal, or inspections without requiring those to whom ready access is requisite to climb over or remove obstacles or to resort to portable ladders, and so forth.

ARTICLE 110? REQUIREMENTS FOR ELECTRICAL INSTALLATIONS

II. 600 Volts, Nominal, or Less
110.26 Spaces About Electrical Equipment.​
Sufficient access and working space shall be provided and maintained about all electrical equipment to permit ready and safe operation and maintenance of such equipment.

(A) Working Space.​
Working space for equipment operating at 600 volts, nominal, or less to ground and likely to require examination, adjustment, servicing, or maintenance while energized shall comply with the dimensions of 110.26(A)(1), (A)(2), and (A)(3) or as required or permitted elsewhere in this Code.

(1) Depth of Working Space.​
The depth of the working space in the direction of live parts shall not be less than that specified in Table 110.26(A)(1) unless the requirements of 110.26(A)(1)(a), (A)(1)(b), or (A)(1)(c) are met. Distances shall be measured from the exposed live parts or from the enclosure or opening if the live parts are enclosed.

dcooper

I have had an issue where the panel was located in a hallway. But it was only over the landing and 1 part of 1 step. I know I was grasping for straws but the code says 'steps' I was over 'a step'. The inspector looked at me and laughed.

Status
Not open for further replies.