NFPA70E 2009 vs 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys,

In the NEC 2008 110.16 Flash Protection specifically calls out NFPA 70E2004 in FPN #1. Does this mean that I should follow the 2004 version to be in compliance of the NEC or should I be using the NEPA 70E 2009? My state just adopted the 2008 NEC and I want to make sure that I am following what I need to be legally compliant.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
FPN are not technically part of the code, they are not enforceable.

I feel it is always prudent to be using the current edition of any standard unless there are ordinances or specifications directing you to do otherwise.

zog

Hi Guys,

In the NEC 2008 110.16 Flash Protection specifically calls out NFPA 70E2004 in FPN #1. Does this mean that I should follow the 2004 version to be in compliance of the NEC or should I be using the NEPA 70E 2009? My state just adopted the 2008 NEC and I want to make sure that I am following what I need to be legally compliant.

The newer version of the 70E superceeds the 2004 and went into effect last year, so you should follow the 2009 version.

edt

Annual First Aid/CPR requirements for 2009 NFPA 70e

Annual First Aid/CPR requirements for 2009 NFPA 70e

I was just recently recertified 12/08 with FirstAid, CPR and AED.
I was also informed that as of 2009 the new NFPA 70e requires annual training in First Aid, CPR and AED, - especially for supervisors.
I vaguely recall reading something to that effect a few weeks ago in a few other periodicals, but not exactly in that context. I can't find a reference to that.
Does anyone have any idea? Any truth to the matter? Any reference to point me in the right direction? Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

eric9822

Occupation
Electrical and Instrumentation Tech
70E 2009 110.6(C) Emergency Procedures

............shall be certified by the employer annually.

(read the whole paragraph)

Does this mean every electrician has to have CPR training or you have to have employees that have had CPR training? The facility I am at has designated first responders on site at all times. The majority of the first responders are not electricians. Some of the electricians have been trained in CPR but not all.

zog

Does this mean every electrician has to have CPR training or you have to have employees that have had CPR training? The facility I am at has designated first responders on site at all times. The majority of the first responders are not electricians. Some of the electricians have been trained in CPR but not all.

OSHA has had this rule for electrical workers since 1981, nothing new. Your first responders have to be able to get there in 4 minutes. That can be an issue with vaults or rooftop substations. Also your first responders need to be trained in safe procedures for release of the victim from the electrical circuit, rescue hooks, system shutdown, etc... They dont have to be electricians, but they wil need the correct electrical training to meet the 70E definition of a wualified person. Here is what the OSHA article says.

1910.269 (b)(1) "Cardiopulmonary resuscitation and first aid training." When employees are
performing work on or associated with exposed lines or equipment energized at 50
volts or more, persons trained in first aid including cardiopulmonary resuscitation
(CPR) shall be available as follows:

(b)(1)(i) For field work involving two or more employees at a work location, at least two
trained persons shall be available. However, only one trained person need be
available if all new employees are trained in first aid, including CPR, within 3
months of their hiring dates.

(b)(1)(ii) For fixed work locations such as generating stations, the number of trained
persons available shall be sufficient to ensure that each employee exposed to
electric shock can be reached within 4 minutes by a trained person. However,
where the existing number of employees is insufficient to meet this requirement
(at a remote substation, for example), all employees at the work location shall be
trained.

we here are required to aed, cpr and first aid, trained, we are the first responce to help if we as electricians do get zapped , or where we do perform work is out of the way places, and fire department would take longer that normal time to respond. training is provided to us thru the fire station that we have on site.

edt

"....shall be certified by the employer annually".

Okay,...thats cool! I got it. Thank you guys. I sure appreciate your help.
(sorry - just a bit of anxiety I suppose. I'm just one of those guys that make sure all my bases are covered, licenses, physicals, Q-Cards, insurances, baselines current and blood banks good, etc. etc., I don't want no surprises.)
Thanks again guys!

billsnuff

For the annual certifications, we had one individual go thru the red cross schooling and become a trainer. (for CPR, 1st Aid and AED) Since you mention three locations, you might want to check with your local chapter.

Status
Not open for further replies.