ferret conduit fishing

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericsherman37

I read recently that ferrets have been utilized to pull strings through conduit runs, eliminating the need for fish tapes or sucking in a mouse. I have two pet ferrets here at home, and they certainly do enjoy tunneling through things (I bought an 8' chunk of that vinyl dryer vent slinky stuff and they run through it back and forth for a good portion of their out-of-cage time). My female ferret is smaller and would probably quite easily fit through a 2" pipe. We have little harnesses for them and everything (for taking them on walks).

The only issue I could foresee is what happens when there is a section of vertical conduit. Going one way, I guess, the string would just stop. Most conduits are probably too slippery for them to climb up. The other direction, I suppose the string would go REALLY FAST and then stop. Those issues aside, maybe I'll start bringing my ferrets to work on wire pull days.

ceb58

It would be cool to use them to pull string. You could train them to come to a taping sound for a treat. Put him in one end and tap on the other so he would go for the treat. As far as a vertical run you could get them some of the skate board shoes that are sticky on the bottoms:D

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Check this site. Here is some info from it.

Cable-carryin' ferrets
Finally, ferrets are useful nowadays in the telecommunications industry for running wires and cables through narrow spaces. When Prince Charles of Wales married Lady Diana Spencer, the TV cables used at the wedding were put in place by a ferret. The ferret ran through narrow pipes pulling a line attached to a special harness. When the ferret popped out at the other end, the line was attached to the TV cables, which were then pulled through the pipes.

In October 1999, the U.S. Air Force Space Command needed a way to connect new computers at Peterson Air Force Base in Colorado. The cost and difficulty of threading wires through crowded 40-foot conduits was daunting until Lt. Col. Randy Blaisdell volunteered his pet ferret Misty. The 6-year-old ferret dashed through the conduits towing a piece of yarn that was then used to pull the computer wires. Misty's multiple-dash work was complete in just one hour, and all it cost was her favorite treat: a strawberry Pop-Tart!

And let's not forget: My ferrets work very hard eating, playing, exploring, posing for photos, sleeping, and making me laugh! I think I'll keep them all on full-time!

davedottcom

My first thought was of PVC Glue fumes inside the pipe...

That can't be good for the little-feller! :-?

I like the idea though!

ibew441dc

There sure to drown if there's water in the conduit (especially underground).

Before you try it you should get an eagle to fetch the ferret at the other end, and have a Tiger watch your gang box so you can take an extra long break...:grin:

It worked for the BEASTMASTER!!!! Reaaaaaaaahhhhh!! (the screeching sound he made from the movie:grin:)

Minuteman

PETA_logo_sm_color.jpg

I can hear them now... :rolleyes:

G0049

And if you use them on a publically funded job, you'd have to pay them the prevailing wage.

Anybody know the prevailing wage for ferrets in your neck of the woods?;)

Torxtimer

It has been 30 or more years since I first heard this but the term "mouse" that we use today actually came from the real old timers using a live mouse to drag in a line behind them on very large pipe jobs, hey they could have been pulling the rookies leg but I never forgot it.

ericsherman37

From the quote on Dennis Alwon's post:

Misty's multiple-dash work was complete in just one hour, and all it cost was her favorite treat: a strawberry Pop-Tart!

That guy feeds his ferrets strawberry pop-tarts? I'm surprised it's still alive after 6 years! My ferrets eat ferret kibble (high protein and fat content cause they're carnivores) and get about half a teaspoon a day of some Vitamin supplement. Their special treats are raisins. Can't feed them processed crap or veggies - they can't digest it and wind up getting plugged up.

Sorry, this is getting off-topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.