goodbye, lithonia lighting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
I used to think they had the best recessed product on the market, and paid good money for them. The best thing about it was brand protection; customer's couldn't price shop me at home depot, and had to order new trims from me.

anyhow, they've continually cheapened the quality of their housing, and now their trims.

I just got the "new" trim design a couple of weeks ago; its the thickness of an aluminum can. And they didn't bother to tell the supply house that new trims will not fit into older housings (by older, I mean housings I purchased two months earlier) without modification.

Every one of those trims bent at installation. I was completely embarrassed when the customer saw them.

I bought some halo's the other day that were twice the quality and half the price.

If you're considering using Lithonia recessed, don't.

480sparky

Do you mean 2X4 troffers from Lithonia are no good any more.If so who would you recommend because I am getting ready to order a bunch for a job.

By the language, I'm thinking recessed can lights? I don't use trims in troffers (I insall diffusers there), but I do in can lights.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
I had a brand new Lithonia outdoor light fail after only a few days of use. Only then did I look at the box and saw it was made in China. I sent an email to the company expressing my displeasure and got no response. No more Lithonia for me, either.

nakulak

two years ago when lithonia moved one of their plants to mexico we had a serious problem with an (office supply) store full of fixtures - internal wiring miswired at factory !! 1/3 of the electronic dimming ballasts blew out from the factory wiring. however, in their deference, I will say that they do stand behind their products (they paid promptly for us to replace)

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
two years ago when lithonia moved one of their plants to mexico we had a serious problem with an (office supply) store full of fixtures - internal wiring miswired at factory !! 1/3 of the electronic dimming ballasts blew out from the factory wiring. however, in their deference, I will say that they do stand behind their products (they paid promptly for us to replace)

we had the same problem once.

according to my salesman, the lithonia rep told him they were having problems with their factory in mexico, so they moved their operations to another factory in mexico. the outcome was much worse.

i'm done with them completely. i just priced out some HID fixtures for a new warehouse; i always used lithonia but this time will be giving hubbell a shot.

cooper isnt any better. goes to show, i mean, you cant expect everyone in the factory work their heart out. some days i put in a few lights, some days a ton, there is always something wrong w/them. lol oh well, sounds like i gotta watch out for engineering now, too

e57

Are you reffering to the spun metal trims? Ones like big cones? Pushed in against metal clips on the the rock? I aggree they have gotten much much thinner - they can hardly take the pressure to install them lately. Just the pressure and sharp edges of the clips will cut into the can.

guitarchris

They had such a backlash about changing the CB1 trims to the "spring" clip/halo type that they are changing back. But they are going to keep the new nail mounting system which SUCKS.
I've always dogged Halo and praised Lithonia as the best,but today I but up the first 12 (of 26) Halo rough ins for the LED cans and I have to admit they went up nice. The nail up system works really well. When you lock them in place they are set and sturdy the arms feel better that the LCP can. The push in connectors (Wago brand, I think) felt MUCH tighter than the new lithonia ones.....I dunno, If the Halos had a simple push up trim, like the old CB1 lithonia I would swap brands in a heartbeat.

Volta

I suppose there can be some exceptions, but I don't like anybody's light fixtures any more. Ya know, the wallmartization of everything these days.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
They had such a backlash about changing the CB1 trims to the "spring" clip/halo type that they are changing back. But they are going to keep the new nail mounting system which SUCKS.
I've always dogged Halo and praised Lithonia as the best,but today I but up the first 12 (of 26) Halo rough ins for the LED cans and I have to admit they went up nice. The nail up system works really well. When you lock them in place they are set and sturdy the arms feel better that the LCP can. The push in connectors (Wago brand, I think) felt MUCH tighter than the new lithonia ones.....I dunno, If the Halos had a simple push up trim, like the old CB1 lithonia I would swap brands in a heartbeat.

I agree, their new mounting system is awful! I had not heard about them changing the trim mounts back, but I'm still not interested; the new trims are just too thin and flimsy. With their original design, a lot of times I have to use my palm to force it in hard to prevent sagging. You can't do that with the new trim because it will bend.

willco

I just heard today from my supplier that the manufacturer for Lithonia trims went belly up. Earliest delivery date for some trims styles is July 1! :mad:
Sign of the times.

Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.