phone book ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rewire

Just got out new ATT Yellow Pages book and found my $2000.00 add on page three needless to say it probably won't do me any good there. Talked to ATT customer lack of service and they say " so what" well I am never and I mean never advertising in their book again. The kicker is a guy with a smaller less expensive add is on page one thats what got me mad.

As far as I can tell, the only guarentee you get with a phone book ad is that they -will- bill you, and the only recompense if they screw up a pormised placement/size/whatever will be the cost of the ad. IMNSHO, some yellow pages ad salesman give the stereotype used-car salesmen competition for sleaze.

resistance

I was always told not to waste my time with any yellow page ads. I guess the people who told me this was correct!

normbac

I was told the ads are placed by who ever has advertised the longest gets the better placement. I would never place another ad due to the lack of calls versus internet ads not to mention the ridiculous cost.

resistance

I was told the ads are placed by who ever has advertised the longest gets the better placement. I would never place another ad due to the lack of calls versus internet ads not to mention the ridiculous cost.
Exactly what I was told!

resistance

not really....depends on your business model...
It seems you have an answer to those that have said countless times that the money spent using the Yellow Pages--as means to gain customers--is not worth the hassle. Please share your knowledge??

Last edited:

emahler

It seems you have an answer to those that have said countless times that the money spent using the Yellow Pages--as means to gain customers--is not worth the hassle. Please share your knowledge??

if you want to run resi/lt comm service with 10+ trucks....you better advertise, a lot...

if you want to do new construction and bid work - not so critical...

if you want to be a one man show - not so critical...

emahler

depends who designs the ad...though I will admit for my dislike of the resi/lt comm service market these days...

powerslave

Do you mean $2,000.00/month or $2,000.00 total? A full page color ad in multuiple books by me is around $2,000.00/month. As I understand it, full page ads go in front of smaller ads and in the order of who's been advertising with them the longest.

That being said, ATT Yellowbook screwed up our ad under electric contractor recently. They never sent me any proofs, the ad just showed up published one day and not the way I wanted it. They didn't give me much of a rebate either.:mad:

emahler

depends who designs the ad...

That being said, ATT Yellowbook screwed up our ad under electric contractor recently. They never sent me any proofs, the ad just showed up published one day and not the way I wanted it. They didn't give me much of a rebate either.:mad:

letting the yellow page publisher design your ad is like hiring your plumber to design the lighting on your next job...it might work out great...but odd are it won't...

Loffgren

re add

re add

my add has worked well, 2k for the year in total costs. It has led to a few good commercial jobs....

Sparky555

As a contractor you should read the terms and conditions.

Approval of proofs are not required.
Ads can be renewed automatically unless 30 days written notice to cancel.
100% refund only for a no-show add. Much less for incorrect phone or business name or no business name.
No guarantee of ad placement.
Binding arbitration of claims in Raleigh, North Carolina.
Hold harmless and liability limits.

My personal experience last year was no service after the sale. I was making changes to proofs with the national office instead of the local office and the salesperson I contracted with. I've had two employees tell me that any problem with the ad was my fault.

It was easily the most expensive advertising with the worst customer service.

Ohmy

As a contractor you should read the terms and conditions.

Approval of proofs are not required.
Ads can be renewed automatically unless 30 days written notice to cancel.
100% refund only for a no-show add. Much less for incorrect phone or business name or no business name.
No guarantee of ad placement.
Binding arbitration of claims in Raleigh, North Carolina.
Hold harmless and liability limits.

My personal experience last year was no service after the sale. I was making changes to proofs with the national office instead of the local office and the salesperson I contracted with. I've had two employees tell me that any problem with the ad was my fault.

It was easily the most expensive advertising with the worst customer service.

This is good advice. What generally happens is they promise the world but their contract only gives you a jar of dirt. Also, if you are dealing with a sales person keep a pad of paper and write down everything they promise. When you get your contract just write it in by hand at the bottom. It is amazing how truthful sales people will become when you start adding their promises to the contract. Also, don't be afraid to cross out items in their contract if it is not in your best interest. If they won't let you, ask for an additional discount to make up for dangerous or risky clauses. There is alot more to think about then the color and size of your ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.