Codebook. (decisions,decisions)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparky723

I am hunting a 2008 Nec codebook. I have yet gootten an '08 and I'm in the process of going back to the study grind. You see, I don't have my Master's and I am looking for a "good" codebook.
I have seen one that Tom Henry puts out that has tabs and is pre-highlighted. Have any of you out there used or had any success using one of these type codebooks on a test? If so, did the pre-highlighting help enough to justify paying the extra money upfront? On another guy's website (Dan Dudley) he claims it will boost your score by 10-15 points by increasing the time you have by not searching for answers when many are hilighted already for you.
I WANT any and all feedback on this. I know many will say just buy a blank codebook and highlight it yourself, but the way I look at it is this: These guys help make up the test and both are very experienced and both have good knowledge as to what is on the test. So I should access all of my avenues to get the best NEC for me to help me pass this test. If you live in TEXAS and have tried to take the ICC Master's test then you understand where I am coming from. ALSO,let me add that this IS NOT my only form of studying. I AM NOT relying solely on the pre hilighted book to pass, so please don't go there. Thanks and I really look forward to hearing ya'lls comments. sparky723

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
I WANT any and all feedback on this. I know many will say just buy a blank codebook and highlight it yourself, but the way I look at it is this: These guys help make up the test and both are very experienced and both have good knowledge as to what is on the test.
I think you're missing the point - highlighting the book yourself enhances your familiarity with where things are. You skim as you highlight, and do it in small doses.

I would buy a bare bones codebook, no tabs; highlight it, and engage in code discussions on forums, it's helped me a lot.

sparky723

book

book

Thanks, George. This is the type feedback I am looking for. I do have one question: Would you leave the tabs out all together?

RonPecinaJr

I agree with George. Highlighting helps but the secret to being successful is getting in there everyday and actually reading it. Participating, or just plain reading discussions here on this site will also go a long way. You may scratch your head at night thinking about the difference between bonding and grounding but that's because you're learning and there ain't nothing wrong with that. You'll get out of it what you put into it. Good luck.

dcspector

I have always used the Tom Henry Ultimate tabbed, hi lighted and with Key Word Index. If you Hi Light your own what are you going to Hi light....the whole book?....IMO the "Key Word Index" is the best tool for the exam. I outta know been taking them since 93' for re certifications that is.

The Iceman

I have always used the Tom Henry Ultimate tabbed, hi lighted and with Key Word Index. If you Hi Light your own what are you going to Hi light....the whole book?....IMO the "Key Word Index" is the best tool for the exam. I outta know been taking them since 93' for re certifications that is.

I agree. As long as they keep making it I will always have one. I do some of my own hi lighting, and make my own notes in the book. Like the OP said, don't rely solely on this book to pass the exam. For me the Tom Henry tabbed, and hi lighted code book is the way to go.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
You guys are lucky, in NC you can't carry your code book into the exam room, a code book, pencil, calculator, and scratch paper is handed to you when you enter, you better be prepared mentally when you take an exam.

Roger

dcspector

You guys are lucky, in NC you can't carry your code book into the exam room, a code book, pencil, calculator, and scratch paper is handed to you when you enter, you better be prepared mentally when you take an exam.

Roger

Roger your kidding me.....never heard that one before. The DC was bad enough but at least I used my 05'.... Are the questions fair?

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician
If you want to learn the code book get MHs NEC Exam Prep. I don't remember the exat number but it's something like 3000 NEC questions. You will really get familiar with where everything is.

IMO highlight your own book and yes tabs are great. Get the MH tabs and tab it yourself.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Roger your kidding me.....never heard that one before. The DC was bad enough but at least I used my 05'.... Are the questions fair?

Greg, the questions are (or were) fair, you just need to know how and where to find them.

One problem can be the F/A and business questions that you have no reference for in the exam room, you have to know these answers from memory.

Roger

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
It's the same here, although you can bring in your own calculator ($5 kind only).

I've never had the tabs, but the book they hand you at the test has tabs. I was actually put off a little bit, they slowed me down, tripping over the things. ;)

dcspector

One problem can be the F/A and business questions that you have no reference for in the exam room, you have to know these answers from memory.

Roger

Agreed........Thank Heavens I am on inactive status. All I do now is maintain CEU's which is no problem, my face is in the NEC everyday regardless.

jeremysterling

If you want to learn the code book get MHs NEC Exam Prep. I don't remember the exat number but it's something like 3000 NEC questions. You will really get familiar with where everything is.

IMO highlight your own book and yes tabs are great. Get the MH tabs and tab it yourself.

Last month, a co-worker of mine passed the TX Master computer exam on his second try. He said he used the MHs NEC Exam Prep.

I got the same book two months ago to prepare for the ICC paper and pencil TX Master exam. I have been extremely pleased with Mike Holt's NEC Exam Prep book.

The first unit (4 chapters) covered all the basic theory that I had "forgotten" from Navy electrician school 20 years ago. I completed every question.

The second unit are the NEC calcs that I learned in a community college Code class 10 years ago. I really like the reader friendly layout of the book. I will admit my enthusiasm for completing every question is waning.

My Code book is tabbed, but I could do with out them. To the OP, I would suggest familiarizing yourself with the Table of Contents as well as the index.

My exam is scheduled for this Saturday, wish me luck.

iwire

Staff member
I've never had the tabs, but the book they hand you at the test has tabs. I was actually put off a little bit, they slowed me down, tripping over the things. ;)

I bought tabs for the 2008 NEC, I ended up cutting them all back off. I found that they only got it the way.

sparky723

wow!

wow!

I really thought that the choices wouls swing one way or the other....At first, It looked as if I was gonna go get an un touched codebook and do it myself, but then others stepped up saying they like the tabbed and pre-hilighted type. So I am sort of back at square one...For those of you who have used the pre highlighted type on a test-did it help you?? Details... I will probably get a codebook this week so Ill be watching this thread close to narrow it down... Thanks again everyone. sparky723

The Iceman

I really thought that the choices wouls swing one way or the other....At first, It looked as if I was gonna go get an un touched codebook and do it myself, but then others stepped up saying they like the tabbed and pre-hilighted type. So I am sort of back at square one...For those of you who have used the pre highlighted type on a test-did it help you?? Details... I will probably get a codebook this week so Ill be watching this thread close to narrow it down... Thanks again everyone. sparky723

The tabs and hilighted books helped me out on all my exams. If they allow it then use it, you could be giving up points and time without them. I am finding that I use the tabs less over time.

ericsherman37

Thanks, George. This is the type feedback I am looking for. I do have one question: Would you leave the tabs out all together?

I put tabs in mine and it was a great move in my opinion. But I wound up getting one of those godawful binder-type books, instead of the paperbound, so shortly after I got it (apprenticeship supplied it), I had to go to the store and get a jumbo pack of those little sticky Cheerio things to fix the ripped pages. My 310.16 table page was falling out within a week.

amflou

I use the tabbed and highlighted. The keyword index is also very helpful. I took a 3hr, 100 question test a couple of weeks ago, that I would not have gotten all the way through without the keyword index and tabbed book. I found the highlighted portions extremely useful on the Prometric and ICC exams.

Lou

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician
Last month, a co-worker of mine passed the TX Master computer exam on his second try. He said he used the MHs NEC Exam Prep.

I got the same book two months ago to prepare for the ICC paper and pencil TX Master exam. I have been extremely pleased with Mike Holt's NEC Exam Prep book.

The first unit (4 chapters) covered all the basic theory that I had "forgotten" from Navy electrician school 20 years ago. I completed every question.

The second unit are the NEC calcs that I learned in a community college Code class 10 years ago. I really like the reader friendly layout of the book. I will admit my enthusiasm for completing every question is waning.

My Code book is tabbed, but I could do with out them. To the OP, I would suggest familiarizing yourself with the Table of Contents as well as the index.

My exam is scheduled for this Saturday, wish me luck.

I hear what your saying about waning enthusiasm for completing every question. The questions get pretty crazy....example...

"An assembly of electrically interconnected electrolytic cells supplied by a source of direct current power is what?" answer- cell line.

Well before I had to answer that question I didn't even know there WAS an article 668....:smile:

By the time I dragged myself (yeah answered every question) through over 3000 questions I felt confident I could find just about anything I needed to in the code and fairly quickly...

Status
Not open for further replies.