Flat screen T.V. wall mount height

Status
Not open for further replies.

ultramegabob

is there a standard height for mounting a flat screen T.V. on a wall, or is it just personal preferance? I need to mount a 32" flat screen on a wall where it will be viewed from approx 12'.

ibew441dc

is there a standard height for mounting a flat screen T.V. on a wall, or is it just personal preferance? I need to mount a 32" flat screen on a wall where it will be viewed from approx 12'.

I'm pretty sure its personal preference. If I was putting a TV on a wall 12' from my bed, it may be different than if I were putting it at height to watch TV while sitting up at a couch.

I have found many requests in conference rooms to mount the receptacle and data outlets at +60 O.C.

StreamlineGT

I believe it is supposed to be between 5 and 15 degrees above your eye height during normal watching to the center of the screen. That is how it was explained to me by my theater installer.

ericsherman37

I mounted a few (yes, more than two) flat screens in a house (yes, just one house) for some lady (yes, just one lady.. a widow, I believe). The big one in her living room was above the fireplace, probably 7 or 8 feet up. The smaller ones in her bedroom and den were also about 7 feet up. The big one went flat on the wall with a simple tilt-only mounting bracket. The smaller ones went on brackets that had adjustable arms so it could point every which way.

All three had recessed entertainment boxes behind the TV for power, cable, etc.

And all three were a HUGE PAIN IN THE BUTT, even with two of us hurking them around.

For our services, she bought us lunch at McDonald's.

ultramegabob

I believe it is supposed to be between 5 and 15 degrees above your eye height during normal watching to the center of the screen. That is how it was explained to me by my theater installer.

Thanks, thats what I am looking for, do you make that measurement to the center of the screen?

JES2727

My father-in-law keeps his flat screen on the floor, below the picture window. He says that's the natural, most comfortable angle for your neck when sitting on the couch. I think it looks dumb.

drbond24

My father-in-law keeps his flat screen on the floor, below the picture window. He says that's the natural, most comfortable angle for your neck when sitting on the couch. I think it looks dumb.

Mine is on the wall over the fireplace. The bottom of the screen is about 6 feet off of the floor. It is at the perfect spot so that when I sit on the couch, pop out the recliner and lean back, I'm looking right at the TV. I can go from standing up to maximum laziness in less than 2 seconds. :D

billsnuff

I recommend mounting the television consistent to the height at which you will watch from.

Don't mount it too high. It's tempting to mount it at picture height, but most people find it more relaxing to watch if the center of the TV is around 40-45 inches off the floor (about eye level while sitting). However, some people have found that having the TV slightly higher can result in a more authentic cinematic experience and can make console gameplay more immersive.

Really depends on the end user, viewer.

My 19" TV is 38 - 40" AFF (center of pic) and the big screen for the ceiling projector is 66 to 68".

Mr.Sparkle

"They" say if possible the lowest part of the screen should not be higher than eye level while sitting on your couch to avoid neck strain. My neighbors is above his fireplace and I do happen to find it cumbersome to watch after a while sitting upright on his couch.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I've read that eye level should be at about the 1/3 way up the screen from the bottom. As for viewing angle, I like the distance to be about 1.5 times the screen size.

Real home theater people measure their image size in feet, not inches. :D

quogueelectric

I usually shoot for 5'6' to 6' to the top never higher it causes neck strain unless you are over a fireplace and you have no choice. There is a suggested degree angle just read the install instructions. Leviton makes a recessed tv outlet I dont think it comes in tr yet though. Most home theatre companys I see use an 18" flat rotating plug extention cord to get screen closer to the wall. I have installed about 100 now they are getting easier and I will soon be making up my own rca cords after seing the home theatre guys do it in minutes. 5 conductor component cables termed in 10 minutes. RGB video and RW audio SWEET!!

Status
Not open for further replies.