Federal Pacific or Challenger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Came across a panel this past weekend. Name is Challenger (Model LDP), breakers look like FPE. Opened the cover to find that its a bolt on style. 2 Pole 400 Amp. Can not find a model for the breaker but they are labeled challenger. Any help as to what type of breaker it is, a model and possible where to look. Supply house has no clue for once. Which is odd. But if I have a make & Model they might be able to find out. I'm thinking they should just replace the panel. But it's the boyscouts. I'm trying to help them out.. Let me know if a picture will help, I'll dig out the camera.

peter d

I worked in an office building, circa 1985, that was entirely built with "FPE by Reliance Electric" switchgear. We installed Cutler Hammer (aka Westinghouse, Bryant, Challenger) breakers in the panelboards, which were an exact replacement. Go figure.

norcal

Challengers former names were Sylvania & Zinsco and any breakers over 225A or 240V rating was made by FPE.

Have a pic on my computer of a circa 1975 800A Zinsco switchboard in a church that came w/ 3 factory installed manufacturers of breakers, Zinsco, FPE, & a I-T-E Cordon? installed for the exit signs.

Edit: After Westinghouse bought Challenger, Westinghouse breakers rebranded as Challenger were used.

Last edited:
Challengers former names were Sylvania & Zinsco and any breakers over 225A or 240V rating was made by FPE.

Have a pic on my computer of a circa 1975 800A Zinsco switchboard in a church that came w/ 3 factory installed manufacturers of breakers, Zinsco, FPE, & a I-T-E Cordon? installed for the exit signs.

Edit: After Westinghouse bought Challenger, Westinghouse breakers rebranded as Challenger were used.

Could I get that pic?

ducorse

Could I get that pic?

you might have a panel with these bad boys. it is a QMQB fused gear switch (or whatever you want to call it.) i have come across panels with both fpe and challenger brands in the gear. they have a tendancy to burn up once in a while.

if you can rework the service, i would try to swap it out with some square d qob or equivilant. it is very bulky and to change out a double switch is quite dangerous while the panel is hot.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-FEDERAL-PAC...s?hash=item41414b9c6c&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

http://www.emscomn.com/product.php?productid=103&cat=0&page=1

Status
Not open for further replies.