Earthquake!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ibew441dc

4.7 in So CAL .............RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!;):grin:

many times the power goes down for a minute....not this time though

ibew441dc

Its eathquakes like this that can turn good connections into loose ones, and loose connections into open ones.....

Last edited:

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
Don't even worry till it's about 5.5 (that is the point where the silverware start dancing around on the table top by theirself), then it's time to beat feet.

I still remember the 64 quake back in Anchorage when I was in second grade....8.6 on a 10 scale, 9.2 om and open scale. 4.7? Just a Harley going down the street.

Last edited:

ibew441dc

Don't even worry till it's about 5.5 (that is the point where the silverware start dancing around on the table top by theirself), then it's time to beat feet.

That's usually true....it all depends whether its a rolling or jerking one, what floor your in, ect.

jumper

I still remember the 64 quake back in Anchorage when I was in second grade....8.6 on a 10 scale, 9.2 om and open scale. 4.7? Just a Harley going down the street.

For me it was 1989, San Francisco, 7.1 magnitude. No power or gas for days.

brian john

For me it was Alaska, several in the 50's no where near as bad as the one in 1964, then Turkey in 1967. We were west of the epicenter and everyone was outside when I got home I never felt it because I was riding in a rickety old Dolmus.

zog

Off the coast of San Fran in 1993, submerged, 5 miles from the epicenter of a 7.8. Scared the crap out of us, we thought we had hit the bottom of the ocaen floor.

mxslick

Magnitude re-revised back down to 4.7

The epicenter was just 1.5 miles from my apt.

Just before it happened, my cat looked up at me and started meowing..there was a few very small rattles, then two HUGE jolts that felt like someone had picked up the building and dropped it, followed by some shaking.

I never felt any of the aftershocks, but my cat did start meowing each time.

We did not lose any power even momentarily. I did however notice one crossarm twisted on a pole outside my building.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I can't help but wonder: Don't people know about earthquake-prone areas before they move there? :confused:

I'm concerned about living between DC and a major military area (Norfolk & Va. Beach), within 2 hours of either.

Last edited:

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I can't help but wonder: Don't people know about earthquake-prone areas before they move there? :confused:

I'm concerned about living between DC and a major military area (Norfolk & Va. Beach), within 2 hours of either.

I had one lady tell me she was moving because of the earthquakes. I asked where she was going and she said Kansas. Don't they have tornados in Kansas? Yes but at least you know it's coming.

Oh I like it much better knowing my house may be destroyed in a little while instead of being surprised and at least with an earthquake, I can still find my house.:rolleyes:

And most people don't know that there was a missle silo just at the edge of town that was probably on the Russians target map at one time. I'm sure that in the 50's an earthquake would have been the least of their worries.:smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.