• Formal?

Votes: 43 58.1%
  • Informal?

Votes: 31 41.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

e57

Knowing full and well we all put our pants on the same way. And that politics and religion are stricly forbidden on this forum - I have the above poll....

Did you go through a formal apprenticeship, or an informal apprenticeship?

Did you go through 4-5 years of required class hours and logged OJT - Or just straight OJT?

I realize that laws vary state to state - but I too was wondering....

Let us all play nice.... ;)

Last edited:

bphgravity

I did two (2) years at the Florida Electrical Apprenticeship Training Academy in Orlando, Fl. and one (1) year at the Lee County High Tech Central in Ft. Myers, Fl.

I had somewhere near 8,000 hours of OJT by the time I obtained my first J-Man license.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I learned working for my dad- started at 13 years old during the summers. Never had any schooling in electricity but I do have a BA in Psychology. I do know what you are thinking. :D

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I had a formal 4 year apprentiship, School and 8000 hours OJT.

The program is now a 5 year program and by the time the apprentiship is finished, they also can finish with a 2-year college degree. That opportunity is outstanding.
Same here except that now the additional classes at the community college to get your associates is required for our local. I think it is 15 semester hours from the community college and the rest of the credit hours are from the apprenticeship classes.

roger3829

Graduated from technical high school which gave me my classroom hours. Then worked for my grandfather, got my A.S. in electrical eng., then worked with my grandfather again to get the rest of my OJT hours and then eventually took my test.

It was sort of a mixed formal/informal training....... I was registered when I first started, but not exactly registered when I finished

Last edited:

brian john

No formal training. I was working with a bunch of hardas*es and did not like that they called all helpers stupid. So I bought a bunch of books and read a lot, I also sat down with drawing and figured things out. Had I gone to a formal apprenticeship it might have held me back. At not quite a year I had mechanics working for me, had my JW license at 2-1/2 years, 1st masters at 4 years, and was running service truck at around 3 years.

Not that I think that is or was a good route to take, but it worked for me.

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
Four years Navy (you get schooled in AC & DC theory, ship distribution, Motors and basic electronics,) as an EM and asst in plant operations.
A year of piece work doing CATV.
Two+ years non-union open shop.

Joined the union in 86, did third and fourth year apprenticeship, turned out in 88.

Navy may make you a tech, but they didn't believe in pipe....nasty old mil spec cable:D

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Formal. 4 years of OJT or 3 years OJT with schooling. I did the latter. Night school two nights a week for 2 years. That qualified me for Journeyman test. Passed with grade in the 90's.

raider1

Staff member
Formal, 4 years vo-tech school in conjunction with 8000 hours OTJ, then passed journeyman's exam, then 8000 more hours OTJ to get my masters license.

Chris

ibew441dc

I am afraid to even answer this so I will stay quiet:D .......UMMMM:confused:Formal

e57 :cool:Thanks for starting this poll......it is similar in intent to one that has magically disappeared;)

electricmanscott

I was born with mad skillz. :cool:

Really....Vocational high school, 8000 hour apprenticeship, journeyman license, master license courses, master license.

I peaked at age 26. :rolleyes:

SmithBuilt

I worked for someone(a pain in the rear) for two years. After two months I decided to get my license or find another job. From then on I read everything I could during lunch, breaks whenever in an all out effort to get licensed. I took the test as soon as allowed and went on my own after the two years.

Looking back I should have taken business classes.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Formal - NJATC program. Oregon requires Inside Journeymen to complete an approved apprenticeship program.

So does Michigan.

We also require ALL electrical work (except the HO exclusion) do be done by licensed journeymen or registered apprenti white a J-man present. No helpers as of last year. Electricians and apprenti must be paid by a licensed contractor, no 1099 work allowed.

Their has also been rumors of a bounty program in which licensed contractors that turn in unlicensed work in progress will get a percentage of the fine generated. Probably won't happen, but it would be a lot of fun on slow days...

Status
Not open for further replies.