rubber mastic tape

Status
Not open for further replies.

electricalperson

at lowes they started selling scotch rubber mastic tape in the electrical isle. i bought a roll for 5 dollars and wondering what makes it any different than standard rubber tape? i noticed its a little thicker and thinking i might use it outdoors in wet locations to seal burndys and crimped splices

480sparky

This stuff?

14677.jpg

cpal

at lowes they started selling scotch rubber mastic tape in the electrical isle. i bought a roll for 5 dollars and wondering what makes it any different than standard rubber tape? i noticed its a little thicker and thinking i might use it outdoors in wet locations to seal burndys and crimped splices

What is your question??

are you asking if this tape can be used under ground
in wet locations?

cpal

Product Description
Scotch 2228 is a conformable
self?fusing rubber electrical
insulating and sealing tape. Scotch
2228 consists of an ethylene
propylene rubber (EPR) backing
coated with an aggressive,
temperature?stable mastic
adhesive. The tape is made 65
mils (1,65 mm) thick for quick
application build?up. It is designed
for electrical insulating and
moisture sealing applications.
Scotch 2228 can be used on
copper or aluminum conductors
rated at 90?C, with an emergency
overload rating of 130?C. It offers
excellent resistance to moisture
and ultraviolet exposure and is
intended for both indoor and
weather exposed outdoor
applications.
Tape Features:

jeremysterling

What makes it different to me is that it is not C130 tape. For me, C130 is the gold standard for spec grade installs.

Don't get me wrong, I'll wrap a split-bolt lickety-split with mastic tape if that is what I have on the truck.

jeremysterling

What makes it different to me is that it is not C130 tape. For me, C130 is the gold standard for spec grade installs.

Don't get me wrong, I'll wrap a split-bolt lickety-split with mastic tape if that is what I have on the truck.

Sorry everyone. The tape is not C130 (as in the Hercules cargo plane). It is 130C (as in 130 degrees Celsius.)

The tape I'm referring to is 3M Scotch 130C Linerless rubber splicing tape. There is a product info sheet online just like the one 480sparky posted for the mastic tape.

I've used the rubber tape that has the liner, but the liner keeps getting in the way. But here in Texas, the liner keeps the tape from melting into one ball of rubber.

In the Navy, we were taught to wrap joints or splices with friction tape, then 130C rubber tape, then vinyl tape(super 33+) i.e. the so-called "monkey nuts".

The mastic tape is great, except when it is time to cut it off to undo the splice (when, say, sending a motor to the rewind shop). The mastic melts into the lugs and hardware making it difficult to remove. The motor junction box T leads and supply conductors may wind up shorter in the frustration.

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
Used the 23 before for "field make up" Seen it last all winter, underwater on the North slope. Done right, the stuff is bulletproof (well almost:D).

In the Navy, we were taught to wrap joints or splices with friction tape, then 130C rubber tape, then vinyl tape(super 33+) i.e. the so-called "monkey nuts".

We used to use the old varnished cambric on the 440 splices.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
...my question is what makes this stuff better or worse than plain old rubber splicing tape?
The mastic adhesive on one side, if you haven't already figured that out ;)

what do people usually use this stuff for?
I'll use it to insulate splices if I don't have any 130C or similar. Other than that, I use it as a box liner on vibrating equipment (such as motor or pneumatic driven piece of machinery) where a conductor could get its insulation worn off rubbing against a sidewall or edge.

iMuse97

I'll use it to insulate splices if I don't have any 130C or similar. Other than that, I use it as a box liner on vibrating equipment (such as motor or pneumatic driven piece of machinery) where a conductor could get its insulation worn off rubbing against a sidewall or edge.

Good Idea!:) Learn something new every day!

Sharpie

The mastic adhesive on one side, if you haven't already figured that out ;)

I do the same as Smart, put the mastic tape on edges inside of equipment or gear that might be abrasive to the conductor insulation.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Samples were constructed using
2228 tape as a seal between PVC
cable jackets and connecting
ground wires (3M Cable Grounding
Kit 2252). The specimens were
thermal cycled in water baths at
25?C and 90?C. The total test time
of 336 hours revealed no significant