New Home Construction and bathroom and closet lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

dereckbc

Staff member
Well here I am again asking a question. Keep in mind I design commercial/industrial applications so residence is not my area..
So I am building another home, my last I hope to retire in. My questions revolve around master bathrooms and deep walk in closets. What I want is canned light in both the bathroom and closet. What code issues apply?

TOOL_5150

Well here I am again asking a question. Keep in mind I design commercial/industrial applications so residence is not my area..
So I am building another home, my last I hope to retire in. My questions revolve around master bathrooms and deep walk in closets. What I want is canned light in both the bathroom and closet. What code issues apply?

Your canned lights need a waterproof, or shower rated trim. If the lamp were to break, it must stay contained in the luminare.

~Matt

iMuse97

In closets, depending on the size of the closet and proximity to clothing and storage areas, I would used enclosed trims on the can lights, per code as it is interpreted in several towns around here, and as I see it, also.

In the bath, enclosed trims are required in shower areas, but open trims permitted elsewhere.

As a side note of advice, recessed lighting provides less illumination than other types of fixtures, so that quantity and placement are crucial at the vanity. The lights must be over the vanity bowl and must be very bright if you wish to satisfy those who spend significant time looking at their face while taking care of their stuff.

For reasons of lighting quantity and quality I personally would use more than just recessed lighting at the vanity.

dereckbc

Staff member
In closets, depending on the size of the closet and proximity to clothing and storage areas, I would used enclosed trims on the can lights, per code as it is interpreted in several towns around here, and as I see it, also.

In the bath, enclosed trims are required in shower areas, but open trims permitted elsewhere.

As a side note of advice, recessed lighting provides less illumination than other types of fixtures, so that quantity and placement are crucial at the vanity. The lights must be over the vanity bowl and must be very bright if you wish to satisfy those who spend significant time looking at their face while taking care of their stuff.

For reasons of lighting quantity and quality I personally would use more than just recessed lighting at the vanity.
Well I should have been more clear. The bathroomis going from 50/ft2 to 120/ft2. I plan on having the bar lights around the vanity mirror, and recessed cans to pick up more light in the bathroom.

The closet will be 6 feet x 18 feet walk in. So I am thinking two cans in the sealing. Is this normally done?

Cavie

There are open shower trims on the market that pass code with the proper lamp installed. What happens when the homeowner replaces it with a standard lamp is a nother matter. I don't like them but have to pass them.

JohnJ0906

The closet will be 6 feet x 18 feet walk in. So I am thinking two cans in the sealing. Is this normally done?

That is a good sized closet. Personally, I would want more light than 2 recess would put out. I would put in 3 surface lights. You can always change lights later if you want/need more illumination.

PetrosA

I have found that the 25w Leviton enclosed compact flourescents work great in closets(much more light than an H7 luminaire.: ;)

I like these as well. They give off a good amount of light and there's no way a homeowner is going to use a non-compliant bulb in it. That said... in a 6'x18' closet I would prefer to see at least three 6" cans go in, unless the homeowner is ok with a surface mounted fluorescent (I view a closet as a utility area and want lots of light, but most people would disagree with me ;) ). One of the coolest looking systems I put in were occupancy sensor controlled Philips LED strips, but they cost a fortune.

Status
Not open for further replies.