code qusetion about emer. lighting outside panels

Status
Not open for further replies.

spy44der

I'm on a job,a little tenant job,I was told by an inspector a while ago,that you are suppose to have some kind of emer. lighting outside of the panel?,we have a sub-panel in a closet and there is nothing on the plans that says mount a pwer pack with in the area,and the other panel is mounted in the back of the facility,we have 4 2x2 lights,but none of them are on emer.power,what is the article # that says you must have emer.back-up in the elec. rm,even though one panel is mounted in a closet in the hall,why aren't they not seeing this when they submit drawings?

raider1

Staff member
The requirement for emergency lighting comes from the building codes. Ask the inspector for a building code reference. There is no specific requirement in the IBC that an electrical panel be provided with emergency illumination.

Chris

bphgravity

This issue is not within the scope of the NEC. While the NEC identifies illumination requirements at indoor electrical equipment, the requirements for emergency lighting are generally outlined in the building / fire code.

Check there for specific requirments.

I agree it should be shown on the approved set of construction documents if required in the jurisdicition the work is taking place.

JohnJ0906

I'm on a job,a little tenant job,I was told by an inspector a while ago,that you are suppose to have some kind of emer. lighting outside of the panel?,we have a sub-panel in a closet and there is nothing on the plans that says mount a pwer pack with in the area,and the other panel is mounted in the back of the facility,we have 4 2x2 lights,but none of them are on emer.power,what is the article # that says you must have emer.back-up in the elec. rm,even though one panel is mounted in a closet in the hall,why aren't they not seeing this when they submit drawings?

What county is this?

CopperTone

ask him for a code reference. It may be a building code in which you will simply forward it to the GC and wait for a change order then you will install it. No change order No light no freebie.

Even if it is a code you still should be able to get a change order no problem because it was not on the prints. more money for you:smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.