Permanent landscape fountain

Status
Not open for further replies.

GG

An owner has a permanent fountain at his residence. Its 30 years old and has 2 existing receptacles beside it. 1 receptacle is actually mounted on the fountain and the 2nd is 2 1/2' away. The receptacle mounted on the fountain supplies a sump pump and the 2nd recep supplies low voltage lighting. I want to do away with the LV lighting receptacle and blank it off and totally do away with the recep mounted on the fountain. I want to move this one 5' away and install a GFCI with an in use cover to supply power to the cord and plug connected sump pump. Does this satisfy the NEC as far as fountains? I tried to look it up in 680.50 but did not see the 5' rule anywhere. Thank you.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Here is what it says. In my opinion you are good to go

680.58 GFCI Protection for Adjacent Receptacle Outlets.
All 15- or 20-ampere, single-phase 125-volt through 250-volt receptacles located within 6.0 m (20 ft) of a fountain edge shall be provided with GFCI protection.

GG

Thanks Dennis. Not that Im going to, but could I have left the 2 existing receptacles where they are located now? I told the owner they have to be atleast 5' away from the waters edge, but I dont see that spelled out in the NEC.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Thanks Dennis. Not that Im going to, but could I have left the 2 existing receptacles where they are located now? I told the owner they have to be atleast 5' away from the waters edge, but I dont see that spelled out in the NEC.

Well I am not sure that you can. Part V ssys you must comply with Part I and V of article 680. Check out 680.10

680.10 Underground Wiring Location.
Underground wiring shall not be permitted under the pool or within the area extending 1.5 m (5 ft) horizontally from the inside wall of the pool unless this wiring is necessary to supply pool equipment permitted by this article. Where space limitations prevent wiring from being routed a distance 1.5 m (5 ft) or more from the pool, such wiring shall be permitted where installed in complete raceway systems of rigid metal conduit, intermediate metal conduit, or a nonmetallic raceway system. All metal conduit shall be corrosion resistant and suitable for the location. The minimum cover depth shall be as given in Table 680.10.

Status
Not open for further replies.