so cord

Status
Not open for further replies.

billdozier

Hey guys what article in the 300s covers so cords? Ive got a customer who was told by a jman electrician that so could be (1) used underground and (2) as a feeder for a small branch circuit? This sounds bogus to me but I want to verify with the nec thanks

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Portable cords are in Article 400. Wiring methods are in Chapter 3.
See uses allowed and non allowed, 400.7 and 400.8
Your Jman is wrong, you are right, and thanks for using the forum.
Suggest to your Jman that he signs up for the forum.

billdozier

Two stupid questions because I see them coming. How do you define a structure? And what does 400.8 (6) mean? The building im wiring is open on two sides. Closed in by a piece of tin on two sides and a tin roof. Would this be considered a structure? My answear is obvious yes. But I want a few more opinions to back my case up. Thanks

iMuse97

Check 310.7 & 310.8, 400.8

Check 310.7 & 310.8, 400.8

...shall be identified for such use.
...shall be moisture-impervious metal sheathed
or shall be MTW, RHW, RHW-2, TW, THW, THW-2, THHW, THWN, THWN-2, XHHW, XHHW-2, ZW
or be of a type listed for use in wet locations.

in addition, there's no way SO could possibly be buried since it is only to be used as a cord-connection for equipment.

On the other hand, I've seen complete Asphalt Plants wired in SO type cord through conduits 8' under ground. I don't really think this is what the Code envisioned. But they call these plants "portable."

Last edited:

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician
Two stupid questions because I see them coming. How do you define a structure? And what does 400.8 (6) mean? The building im wiring is open on two sides. Closed in by a piece of tin on two sides and a tin roof. Would this be considered a structure? My answear is obvious yes. But I want a few more opinions to back my case up. Thanks

400.8(6)?? There are some places you can run cord in raceway but it isn't the norm...check out 400.14.

Structure is convieniently defined for us in article 100

Status
Not open for further replies.