Cable protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikehughes8

For direct buried cable type USE or UF are there any exceptions in the NEC that would allow for the cable not to protected IAW with 300.5(D)1.
For instance, with multiconductor cable, can the cable jacket be considered as protection or is conduit required in all cases.

Thanks in advance

resistance

For direct buried cable type USE or UF are there any exceptions in the NEC that would allow for the cable not to protected IAW with 300.5(D)1.
For instance, with multiconductor cable, can the cable jacket be considered as protection or is conduit required in all cases.
300.5 (D)(1) says: Emerging from Grade. Direct-buried conductors and cables emerging from grade and specified in columns 1 and 4 of table 300.5 shall be protected by enclosures or raceways extending from the minimum cover distance below grade required by 300.5 (A) [Which states direct-buried cable or conduit or other raceways shall be installed to meet the minimum cover requirements of T. 300.5] to a point at least 2.5 m (8 ft) above finished grade. In no case shall the protection be required to exceed 450 mm (18 in.) below finished grade.

mikehughes8

300.5 (D)(1) says: Emerging from Grade. Direct-buried conductors and cables emerging from grade and specified in columns 1 and 4 of table 300.5 shall be protected by enclosures or raceways extending from the minimum cover distance below grade required by 300.5 (A) [Which states direct-buried cable or conduit or other raceways shall be installed to meet the minimum cover requirements of T. 300.5] to a point at least 2.5 m (8 ft) above finished grade. In no case shall the protection be required to exceed 450 mm (18 in.) below finished grade.

Yes, I read that too. I was only making sure there exist no other article in the code that somehow modifies this. I didn't think there was.

Status
Not open for further replies.