Electrical Outlets And receptacle outlets

Status
Not open for further replies.

amr

Hi all,

I need to know if the Electrical Outlets used in America are all receptacle outlets or not ?

iwire

Staff member
Hi all,

I need to know if the Electrical Outlets used in America are all receptacle outlets or not ?

Under the NEC all installed receptacles are outlets. but not all outlets are receptacles.

The best bet for you is to get an NEC and look up the definitions in article 100. :smile:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
But that is one defintion of how many? 4? :smile:

There are 'outlets', 'power outlets', 'lighting outlets' and 'receptacle outlets'. I may have overlooked more.

You are correct. Now the OP can send me the money..:D

Lighting Outlet. An outlet intended for the direct connection of a lampholder or luminaire.

Power Outlet. An enclosed assembly that may include receptacles, circuit breakers, fuseholders, fused switches, buses, and watt-hour meter mounting means; intended to supply and control power to mobile homes, recreational vehicles, park trailers, or boats or to serve as a means for distributing power required to operate mobile or temporarily installed equipment.

Receptacle Outlet. An outlet where one or more receptacles are installed.

Mounting receptacles upside down

Mounting receptacles upside down

HI, I am kinda new at this so please forgive me if I post this in the wrong place...my question is...I was told by my local inspector that I had to mount the receptacles upside down, ground prong up, so...to keep peace...I changed them....I have not seen anything in the NEC to install this way..I understand the reason why, but the customers don't like it....can some shed some light on this...thanks VC

Status
Not open for further replies.