Church / Education Building...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Occupation
Inspector
I have been asked to bid on a remodel of the Office area of a Church/Education building. A wall is being removed and a new one added at a different part of the same room. The Office walls are of a block type so I will have to run a surface mounted something and the ceilings are rocked with 12x12 ceiling tiles locked into place. I would prefer to use WireMold which leads to my question.

What would be a good method of transitioning from MC to WireMold or would you run 1/2" flex(Greenfield) and pull it all in? :cool:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Check out the parts on page 3 of this: http://www.wiremold.com/shared_content/pdf/ed532.pdf

You could strip enough MC to reach the box (which I wouldn't hesitate to do (see below*)), use a #5782, a #5784, or a #5785 with an MC connector without a locknut, or a #5781 or #5783 (with a chase nipple) with a box.

You could also use a #5719 as its own J-box, but for the minimalist approach, check out the #5790B on page 4. It says for connection to a box via a short piece of channel, but it doesn't say exactly how long short is (see above.*)

Added: What is the above-ceiling (or below-floor) access like?

Last edited:

Occupation
Inspector
Check out the parts on page 3 of this: http://www.wiremold.com/shared_content/pdf/ed532.pdf

You could strip enough MC to reach the box (which I wouldn't hesitate to do (see below*)), use a #5782, a #5784, or a #5785 with an MC connector without a locknut, or a #5781 or #5783 (with a chase nipple) with a box.

You could also use a #5719 as its own J-box, but for the minimalist approach, check out the #5790B on page 4. It says for connection to a box via a short piece of channel, but it doesn't say exactly how long short is (see above.*)

Concrete floor and no access above, except holes cut into ceiling.

So, you would strip the MC and install it into the WireMold. This would not be a violation?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Concrete floor and no access above, except holes cut into ceiling.
But you can get above the ceiling to run horizontal, right? Meaning you could use boxes in the attic, and not have to fish the ceiling.

So, you would strip the MC and install it into the WireMold. This would not be a violation?
Well, I've done it and had no problems with inspections. (That's what matters, right?) It's more reliable than splicing.

Ask your inspector. If he balks, ask for alternative suggestions.

ericsherman37

Most. Confusing. Post. Ever. :-?:-?

:grin::wink:

Doesn't WireMold make a little terminal adapter so you can land it in a 4-sq. box?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.