Temporary Use of a 100 amp panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

JNordin

I have a customer with a dryer 220v fed by 2- plug type TL30 fuses. The house has a fused 60 amp service with various 30 amp fused disconnects off to the side for various loads, this being one of them.
Sometime along the way, one side of the dryer 30 amp fused disconnect got very hot. A motor was replaced by the appliance dealer, but she still has problems with the fuse blowing from time to time. Inspection of the fused disconnect revealed the plug type socket got real hot at one time..blackened and fried insulator under the center pin. The fuse on that side continues to get hot and shows a 5-9 voltage drop when in use, (across the fuse). So something needs to be done with the disconnect. Since the customer is going to upgrade the service, yet still needs a dryer, is there any code issue with using a new 100 amp panel only as breaker for the dryer until I get ready for the change over. i.e. I would temporarily mount the panel, feed the mains on the load side of the 100 amp breaker from the 60 amp panel to a 30 amp 2-p breaker, rather than spending the $30+ for another disconnect which won't be needed in a month anyway?

iwire

Staff member
You can do almost anything temporarily but it all still has to comply with the code.

I really do not understand why you would not just change the service right now and be done with it?

wireguru

unless you have a contract and deposit for the future work, i wouldnt do anything temporary based on what the customer says theyre going to do later.

iwire

Staff member
unless you have a contract and deposit for the future work, i wouldnt do anything temporary based on what the customer says theyre going to do later.

I would do any temporary work the customer asked for, was code compliant and was paid for. :smile:

wireguru

I would do any temporary work the customer asked for, was code compliant and was paid for. :smile:

right, i did a bad job of conveying my thoughts in my post. What i meant was dont cobble something together that you wouldnt leave there forever, just to make it work because the HO is telling you they are replacing the service next week.

mikeames

Occupation
Teacher - Master Electrician - 2017 NEC
Why not mount the panel and feed the LINE side from the 60 panel? Why do you want to feed the load side of it?

Status
Not open for further replies.