Article 680 questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
In Arcticle 680 it states that the equipotential bond should be "not smaller than 8 AWG" solid wire. Why solid? Also does it need to be insulated? Also should it be in a conduit between the equipment and rebar or just bare in the ground?

Also can you have one GFCI breaker in the main panel then have standard breakers in the pool panel for each piece of equipment....e.g. pump, heater, blower, etc. or do you have to install a seperate GFCI breaker for each piece of equipment in the pool panel? In this particular case the pool panel would have to have (3) 240 V. and (2) 120 V. breakers which would be a bit expensive.

Thank you for any thoughts on this,

Mike

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
In Arcticle 680 it states that the equipotential bond should be "not smaller than 8 AWG" solid wire. Why solid? Also does it need to be insulated? Also should it be in a conduit between the equipment and rebar or just bare in the ground?

I don't know why it needs to be #8 but it does and no it does not need be insulated or in conduit.

Also can you have one GFCI breaker in the main panel then have standard breakers in the pool panel for each piece of equipment....e.g. pump, heater, blower, etc. or do you have to install a seperate GFCI breaker for each piece of equipment in the pool panel? In this particular case the pool panel would have to have (3) 240 V. and (2) 120 V. breakers which would be a bit expensive.

IMO, you cannot have a main GFCI breaker if you have a light in the pool otherwise you may be able to but it is a very bad idea. I say you may be able to but I have not checked all the requirements.

680.23(3) requires the GFCI to be installed in the branch circuit.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I believe the only place it calls for the wire to be insulated is for the wet-niche froming shell ground. This is done to redcue the corrosive effects of the water on the wire (same reason for the potting compound)

Thank you for any thoughts on this,

Mike
The main problem is doing so is that the cumulative effect of minor "leaks" in each piece of equipmentr tends to make such a "main " trip whereas the individual leakage may not be sufficient for an individual branch breaker.

SEO

A #8 solid cu conductor is required for the physical ability to withstand agents attacking the conductor. A stranded wire is more susceptible because the strands are much smaller and each one is attacked individualy thus deteriorating quicker.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
680.23(3) requires the GFCI to be installed in the branch circuit.

People still use these?

680.23(A)(3) GFCI Protection, Relamping. A ground-fault circuit interrupter shall be installed in the branch circuit supplying luminaires operating at more than 15 volts such that there is no shock hazard during relamping. The installation of the ground-fault circuit interrupter shall be such that there is no shock hazard with any likely fault-condition combination that involves a person in a conductive path from any ungrounded part of the branch circuit or the luminaire to ground.[/quote]

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
People still use these?

680.23(A)(3) GFCI Protection, Relamping. A ground-fault circuit interrupter shall be installed in the branch circuit supplying luminaires operating at more than 15 volts such that there is no shock hazard during relamping. The installation of the ground-fault circuit interrupter shall be such that there is no shock hazard with any likely fault-condition combination that involves a person in a conductive path from any ungrounded part of the branch circuit or the luminaire to ground.
[/quote]

So are you correcting me. :D. I assumed (I know) high voltage since I have never used low voltage lights in a pool. I know they make them just never seen them.

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician
People still use these?

680.23(A)(3) GFCI Protection, Relamping. A ground-fault circuit interrupter shall be installed in the branch circuit supplying luminaires operating at more than 15 volts such that there is no shock hazard during relamping. The installation of the ground-fault circuit interrupter shall be such that there is no shock hazard with any likely fault-condition combination that involves a person in a conductive path from any ungrounded part of the branch circuit or the luminaire to ground.
[/quote]

Only if they are craaaaaazy....:smile:
J/K. I prefer low voltage but what is it? an extra 1-200 bucks?

chris kennedy

Occupation
So are you correcting me. :D. I assumed (I know) high voltage since I have never used low voltage lights in a pool. I know they make them just never seen them.

Only if they are craaaaaazy....:smile:
J/K. I prefer low voltage but what is it? an extra 1-200 bucks?
So you both have used 120V lights in permanently installed pools?

chris kennedy

Occupation
I just wire them. The pool companies, around here , are licensed to do the epb, lights to deck box, etc. We just hook em up from there.

Just haven't seen one in years.

We have a Forum glitch here. When I double quoted and previewed I had to add the quote before each quoted post. My missing quotes ended up in the other posts! Cool!

chris kennedy

Occupation
You sure it is the forum and not the Chriswho has the Glitch

I don't make mistakes. (the 2 marriages were not my fault)

You don't see a stray quote in post 6 and 7? How do you think I was able to pull that off?:smile:

Never mind, looks like its working OK.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.