Would this be considered a separate structure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
I've got to do this pool job tomorrow.

I'm building another pedestal next to the one in the picture to hang the automation panel on. Would you consider it a separate structure needing its own grounding electrode? I think technically it is, but would it be necessary?

8292a3babbda.jpg

KevinVost

If I see this right, the house in the background is the dwelling unit and the pool equipment is separated by the brick wall and the pool equipment has it's own panel and METER. I would assume (I hate to assume :roll:) that since there is a meter at the pool equipment, you have a seperate service there and it would have it's own electrode. If you are using circuits from the panel shown, why would you need another electrode?

Also, it appears that the transformer is incringing on the working clearance of the panel.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
If you are using circuits from the panel shown, why would you need another electrode?

Because I'm building another pedestal next to it. Pedestals are structures.

Also, it appears that the transformer is incringing on the working clearance of the panel.

Its not. Just looks that way from the angle of the picture.

As for this service in the picture; its there because the EC that did the house forgot to run a line for the well that is behind is in the picture. So instead of doing it, he told the homeowner it would be cheaper to put up another service. What he failed to mention is that when the power goes out, their 60kw genny will not be providing power for the well.

Last edited:
It looks as though this may be the service for the property. I agree that it does look as though the transformer is in the work space clearance, although pictures sometimes are very deceiving.

Why don't you attach the new support to the existing support as seen in the picture?

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Why don't you attach the new support to the existing support as seen in the picture?

I thought about that, but I would need to set another post directly beside the furthest one in the pic, and the existing post is embedded in concrete, which means I can't get my new post deep enough. So we're going to move it a couple of feet over. I could attach my 2x's on the rear of this post, and do the same on the other side, but I think it would look fugly. I've already got the go-ahead to do it my way, so I'm going to stick with the original plan.

The service is not for the entire property. I was editing above when you posted. Read the last sentence of my previous post.

hardworkingstiff

I like the "structure" wall. We do a lot of walls just that way. I noticed the white material you used to hold the panel off the wall. You don't feel the standoffs on the NEMA 3R enclosure are sufficient? What is that white material, delrin?

masterinbama

I've got to do this pool job tomorrow.

I'm building another pedestal next to the one in the picture to hang the automation panel on. Would you consider it a separate structure needing its own grounding electrode? I think technically it is, but would it be necessary?

8292a3babbda.jpg

Why don't you thru bolt another 4X4 to the one that's there. Then you only have to set 1 more post in the ground.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
I like the "structure" wall. We do a lot of walls just that way. I noticed the white material you used to hold the panel off the wall. You don't feel the standoffs on the NEMA 3R enclosure are sufficient? What is that white material, delrin?

I did not build the existing service.

TOOL_5150 said:
Is there anough clearance to put 2x6's on the back and use the back side for the automation panel?

They mounted the irrigation controls on the back. That would've been too easy. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.