Dedicated Space Above Panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dean83169

I have read the threads and also read the code as it pertains to dedicated space above a panel. My questions is why does the code only give you the space above the panel and the width of it. This means that the HVAC contractor could use the entire space from the top of the drop ceiling to the bottom of the structural ceiling directly against the panel wall allowing no way to enter the panel but below the drop ceiling. This makes no sense to me if I am reading it correctly. The 3 foot clearance rule should run from floor to ceiling for future use. Any suggestions or corrections?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Do you meant something like this?

1008698642_2.gif

Dean83169

Yeah but thats only for the space the width and depth of the panel. The duct could run in front of the panel from top of grid ceiling to bottom of structural tight against the panel wall with allows no possible way to enter the panel.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I'm not sure that I understand, the dedicated space is for the depth and width of the panel up to 6'. This would leave 6' of verticle space above the panel to allow for conduit entry.

benaround

Yeah but thats only for the space the width and depth of the panel. The duct could run in front of the panel from top of grid ceiling to bottom of structural tight against the panel wall with allows no possible way to enter the panel.

You are right, thankfully it doesn't happen that often. I would like to see 3' also, but you

know how that space becomes a premium!!

Dean83169

I believe the space for conduit entry is correct but if you cant access the space in from of it then what good is the 6" above the panel. I think if you imagine a 3' box in front of the panel that it should be verticle to the structural ceiling so your able to get to that point.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I believe the space for conduit entry is correct but if you cant access the space in from of it then what good is the 6" above the panel. I think if you imagine a 3' box in front of the panel that it should be verticle to the structural ceiling so your able to get to that point.

Do you mean the working space requirement?

workingspace.jpg

Dean83169

No not working space. Imagine a nice finished office space with a drop ceiling. You have 3 feet from the top of the panel to the bottom of the drop ceiling and then 3 feet from the drop ceiling to the bottom of the structural ceiling. Now, that space between the drop ceiling and structural ceiling is taken by a 36 x 36 HVAC duct pushed tightly against the wall with the panel in it. Your only room is the thickness of the ceiling pad to allow replacement. There is no way for any conduit or cable entries at this point which makes this part of the code worthless. I say the 30 inch wide by 36 inch deep clearance for panels should extend to the bottom of the structural ceiling so your able to have future conduit entries and old work cable entries into the panel. This space should be dedicated to us.

Status
Not open for further replies.